Christine Falls by Benjamin Black

Christine Falls

by Benjamin Black

Series: Quirke (1)

English (99)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  French (1)  All languages (112)
Actually a 3.5 star. I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I liked the main character and I liked the mystery but the pacing of the book was a little slow for me. Black likes words and uses them well but I sometimes felt like he was trying to build mood at the cost of the plotting.

The setting was wonderful though and I think there was enough there that I might try book 2. If you like faster paced mysteries this book will not be for you., ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Somewhat engaging but I do not find this writer very good. Seems like he is trying to sell a movie script. Going to donate this to the book sale. ( )
  Julie.Dorsett | Jul 8, 2017 |
Christine Falls by Benjamin Black
The Quirke series Book #1
★★★

From The Book:
The hero of Christine Falls, Quirke, is a surly pathologist living in 1950s Dublin. One night, after having a few drinks at a party, he returns to the morgue to find his brother-in-law tampering with the records on a young woman's corpse. The next morning, when his hangover has worn off, Quirke reluctantly begins looking into the woman's history. He discovers a plot that spans two continents, implicates the Catholic Church, and may just involve members of his own family. He is warned--first subtly, then with violence--to lay off, but Quirke is a stubborn man.

My Views:
It's a tale of murder, betrayal, and corruption in high places. It is also a sad, dark story of lives that are burdened and nearly destroyed by wrong choices that have impact forever. I did enjoy visiting 1950's Dublin. However overall, there was a lack of depth to the characters and the locations that greatly subtracted from what it started out to be. I will keep in mind that it was the first book in this series and feel it only fair to give it a second chance. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 17, 2017 |
@ Irish babies coming to America — to be priests, nuns — Boston description of Irish South Shore

It's not the dead that seem strange to Quirke. It's the living. One night, after a few drinks at an office party, Quirke shuffles down into the morgue where he works and finds his brother-in-law, Malachy, altering a file he has no business even reading. Odd enough in itself to find Malachy there, but the next morning, when the haze has lifted, it looks an awful lot like his brother-in-law, the esteemed doctor, was in fact tampering with a corpse--and concealing the cause of death.

It turns out the body belonged to a young woman named Christine Falls. And as Quirke reluctantly presses on toward the true facts behind her death, he comes up against some insidious--and very well-guarded--secrets of Dublin's high Catholic society, among them members of his own family.
  christinejoseph | Jan 18, 2017 |
Found this a disappointing read. I don't understand why female characters need to suffer abuse/rape that has no real bearing on the plot. Expected better of John Banville/Mr Black. ( )
  njgriffin | Jan 2, 2017 |
In his decision to write a straightforward, no-nonsense thriller about transatlantic baby-smuggling and the Catholic Church, John Banville, a veritable emperor of baroque prose, has not so much taken a vow of poverty as put in a sly bid to extend and reinforce his stylistic dominion. ... Those familiar with Banville will have expected nothing less; the neophyte, however, who picks up this racy little number anticipating nothing more than a night of brisk casual thrills may soon be surprised to find himself in the grips of a literary passion he had not gambled on.

To Ed Victor
She was glad it was the evening mailboat she was taking, for she did not think she could face a morning departure.
Benjamin Black, pseud. used by John Banville.
Original title: Christine Falls

It's not the dead that seem strange to Quirke. It's the living. One night, after a few drinks at an office party, Quirke shuffles down into the morgue where he works and finds his brother-in-law, Malachy, altering a file he has no business even reading. Odd enough in itself to find Malachy there, but the next morning, when the haze has lifted, it looks an awful lot like his brother-in-law, the esteemed doctor, was in fact tampering with a corpse - and concealing the cause of death. It turns out the body belonged to a young woman named Christine Falls. And as Quirke reluctantly presses on toward the true facts behind her death, he comes up against some insidious, and very well-guarded, secrets of Dublin's high Catholic society, among them members of his own family.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Benjamin Black's book Christine Falls was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible