Star Trek Generations by J. M. Dillard
Captain Picard and his crew struggle to prevent a catastrophe that could cost millions of lives. As Picard races against time, he receives help from a mysterious figure from the past. Now both generations must fight side by side in a battle against an evil genius who holds the key to the future.

VHS tape is on my shelf, but the *book* is best..... Working my way through Trek History.....

I'm enjoying my summer survey of all things Cinematic Trek - I've got all the books in hand and it's very enjoyable. There is a continuity and depth when the author can draw on *all* of Trek history for the narrative, not just relying on visuals. When one author like Dillard gets to handle the books, you get an even tighter connection across the stories! I look forward to working my way through "First Contact" next (in fact, I've already started....) ( )
  mrklingon | Apr 22, 2019 |
J.M. Dillard's adaptation of Star Trek: Generations not only covers the plot of the film, but includes one of the deleted scenes, more of the crew from the original Enterprise, and improves the ending. Since the movie is its own entity and the book closely follows its story, I will primarily focus on Dillard's alterations.
Following Kirk's death on the Enterprise-B, Dillard turns his attention to original crew members besides Scotty and Chekov. Sulu, aboard the Excelsior, receives the news via subspace message in the middle of an evacuation drill in which his crew is simulating a warp core breach and separating the saucer section. This is particularly poignant as it foreshadows the later evacuation of the Enterprise-D. Dillard's addition of McCoy and Spock attending Kirk's memorial service provides a much-needed emotional response that seemed missing in the film.
Moving to the Next Generation-era scenes, Dillard hews fairly close to the film, though with additional dialogue or the full sequence of Geordi following his return from the Klingon Bird of Prey. Dillard drastically alters both Kirk and Soran's deaths, removing the bridge crash from the movie. Instead, Soran shoots Kirk with the distruptor during their fight. Soran, recognizing Kirk, realizes that Picard must have traveled to the Nexus and is now working to undo Soran's work. Rather than die when his probe explodes, Soran dies after Picard shoots him. Apparently, this sequence did not test well with audiences, but I feel it works better than the scene the filmmakers reshot, in which Kirk dies in a bridge collapse.
The final section of the book contains a making-of for Star Trek: Generations that has some interesting behind-the-scenes information. It's mostly promotional, meant to help sell the film, but it should be of interest to Trekkers curious about The Next Generation's transition from television to film. ( )
  DarthDeverell | May 19, 2016 |
The story begins with the launching of the U.S.S. EnterpriseTM NCC-1701-B and the mysterious disappearance of Captain James T. Kirk. Then, seventy-eight years later, Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D receives a distress call from a remote scientific observatory.

Picard learns that a newly developed superweapon has been stolen by a desperate scientist with an insane plot. Facing the most difficult task of his career, Captain... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |

Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
Again, J.M. Dillard managed to salvage a badly-written script. ( )
  wookiemonster | Sep 29, 2009 |
For my amazing mother
In the captain's quarters aboard the Enterprise-A the nautical clock chimed, breaking the silence to softly mark the passage of time.
This is not the same work as Star Trek Generations written by John Vornholt. Do not combine them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,823,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible