Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk…

Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age

by Sherry Turkle

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All (6)
A lot of really great food for thought in this book. I would recommend it for everyone who feels that there relationship with technology generally, and their phone's in particular could do with a re-balancing. ( )
  NicolaCT | Jan 2, 2017 |
This is a thought-provoking book. It is also sad. The path humanity is pursuing will stamp out what it means to be human. The real world and meaningful interaction are being blocked out and that diminishes our humanity. People are increasingly not relating to each other in a "here and now" "this is real life and it is sometimes messy" way.....they are presenting carefully constructed positive posts on social media. Choosing to interact primarily by texting or email erodes our ability to meaningfully relate to others, encourages us to present a false "best self," encourages us to not feel our feelings, and pins our self worth (especially those who grew up using screens from a very young age) on how many "likes" or responses each post receives. Sherry Turkle offers dozens of examples that validate her argument that we must reclaim conversation to reclaim our humanity. Turkle has spent decades studying the psychology of people's relationships with technology. I was deeply saddened to learn how adolescents experience the world through carefully editing their texts and emails and how socially isolated they are since a screen and false self is always between them and others. Who need 1984 and the thought police? The digital age is impoverishing our feelings, thinking, and imaginations. ( )
  jaylcee | Jun 12, 2016 |
The need to lay down devices and focus on social interaction, to preserve empathy and solitude. Heard on "Science Friday," Oct. 9, 2015. ( )
  clifforddham | Oct 9, 2015 |
Note that the NYT Book REview piece was written by Jonathan Franzen. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015 from Sept. 27, 2015
  raischm | Sep 28, 2015 |
Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age by MIT professor Sherry Turkle dissects the negative impacts of the digital age on life skills that face to face conversation brings. It issues a call to action to reclaim conversation. The book comes repeatedly to its main ideas from a myriad of directions and with a variety of examples. Hopefully, in the many examples, at least some will strike a chord with readers, and a conversation will begin.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/09/reclaiming-conversation-power-of-talk.h...

Reviewed based on a publisher’s galley received through NetGalley ( )
  njmom3 | Sep 12, 2015 |

"Renowned media scholar Sherry Turkle investigates how a flight from conversation undermines our relationships, creativity, and productivity--and why reclaiming face-to-face conversation can help us regain lost ground,"--Amazon.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,594,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible