The Girl With Two Names: A Novel by Gerard…

The Girl With Two Names: A Novel

by Gerard O'Neill

I came to the conclusion while reading this story that although the author has very compelling stories, his transitions seemed to be strained to me. I feel like when changes in action or scenery are about to happen, he skips the traditional soft transitions, like turning a corner in a car, and instead jumps to the new scene like someone jumping 180° to face the opposite direction. It is rather jarring. However, the tale was so compelling that I often overlooked the very thing that bothered me. I quite enjoyed the story and really liked the main characters.

This book, though set in cultures I am unfamiliar with, did not make me feel like an outsider but rather someone who was already familiar with the peculiarities of both the Japanese and New Zealand cultures. It is a good thriller that kept me, figuratively, on the seat of my pants until the final conclusion. I felt invested in the outcome of the main character and wanted to see things end well for her. This goes to show that sometimes a great concept can completely overshadow less than stellar writing. ( )
  BekahMorel | Apr 22, 2017 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review on librarything.com
This book is a fantastic thriller suspense revolving around a "girl with two names".
I found the book extremely well written with a great storyline. The only issue I had was that it was just too long. Also, Japanese jargons with a bit hard to understand. Otherwise it was a good read! ( )
  aishwarya123 | Apr 7, 2017 |
Extremely slow beginning. I could feel no emotion for the main character at all. This didn't change throughout the book. The story was told as if you were a fly on a wall. As if the reader wasn't there. The Japanese names were very confusing as well. ( )
  somethingblanc | Mar 4, 2017 |
I got this book as a give away from Library thing.
Basically the plot is bit slow in developing but that's not a deterrent as the twists & turns do hold the story line firmly.
All in all a worth read thriller :) ( )
  Abhi09 | Jan 31, 2017 |
Thanx so much!!! :) can't wait to read!! :) ( )
  jennifferhope | Nov 22, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 099436542X, Paperback)

Haunted by a recent catastrophe Yayoi wants to rebuild her life and find romance, but what awaits her is more than she planned on. More than Yayoi's creativity is on the line. It's her life. Yayoi is the singing sensation known to her fans as Yaya. Married to the fading movie star Nori, the violent scion of a wealthy family, she is tied to the major corporate label they own through a binding and crushing recording contract.

With the paparazzi on her tail, she's determined to make her escape. Pursued by her obsessive and reckless husband she finds romance with Bill. Unaware of what lies ahead and the truly treacherous path she is on, all she knows is it's too late to turn back for she has made her decision.

An edgy contemporary romance and psychological suspense thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 08:28:56 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible