The Girl With Two Names: A Novel by Gerard…

The Girl With Two Names: A Novel

by Gerard O'Neill

Extremely slow beginning. I could feel no emotion for the main character at all. This didn't change throughout the book. The story was told as if you were a fly on a wall. As if the reader wasn't there. The Japanese names were very confusing as well. ( )
  somethingblanc | Mar 4, 2017 |
I got this book as a give away from Library thing.
Basically the plot is bit slow in developing but that's not a deterrent as the twists & turns do hold the story line firmly.
All in all a worth read thriller :) ( )
  Abhi09 | Jan 31, 2017 |
Thanx so much!!! :) can't wait to read!! :) ( )
  jennifferhope | Nov 22, 2016 |
I received this book in return for a review.

With a title like this, I want to know what the two names are and why they are necessary. This is explained between page 1 and page 7 of the Kindle edition. After that, the title is irrelevant and ignored.

This book has 55 chapters. This is a very, very slow developing story. After an early portrayal of violence connected to spousal abuse, nothing even remotely interesting happens until Chapter 29 when two strangers, Tama and Noel, appear at a cabin where Paul, Bill, and Yayoi occupy a base cabin while on a hunt for wild boar. Everything previous is Yayoi’s reflections on discomfort with her stage life, her past life as a child in Japan, and her discomfort with having married the wrong guy. Bill runs around reflecting on his troubled career as a lawyer, his inability to secure a stable economic future, his dysfunctional relationship with an uncle, and his speculation as to who Yayoi might be. Other characters weigh in with lesser reflections of how they got to where they are; they are minor characters. There are a lot of descriptions of scenery.

Nori, husband of Yayoi, is a multifaceted character. Wealthy beyond belief due to his family, he wants to remain married to Yayoi. His ways of showing his concern or love for Yayoi are deficient and include spousal rape. Once he appears in the wild to find Yayoi, in chapter 33, the action picks up, but the road to get there has been long.

Nori messes up and accidentally (maybe) is a party to a criminal conspiracy that will frame Bill for shooting Paul. We don’t begin to know whether this is accidental or not until almost the end of the book. Again, very slow.

The ending surprised me. If I had an overall xray of the book before I read it, I would have passed. The journey from A to B was just too long to justify the effort. ( )
  ajarn7086 | May 7, 2016 |
This book reminded my of the movie with Jennifer Lopez "Enough". A women getting abused and trying to leave. I enjoyed the book and I am glad she left! I think this book kept me on my toes. * I received this book from LibraryThing in a giveaway in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  Aly3636 | Mar 29, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 099436542X, Paperback)

Haunted by a recent catastrophe Yayoi wants to rebuild her life and find romance, but what awaits her is more than she planned on. More than Yayoi's creativity is on the line. It's her life. Yayoi is the singing sensation known to her fans as Yaya. Married to the fading movie star Nori, the violent scion of a wealthy family, she is tied to the major corporate label they own through a binding and crushing recording contract.

With the paparazzi on her tail, she's determined to make her escape. Pursued by her obsessive and reckless husband she finds romance with Bill. Unaware of what lies ahead and the truly treacherous path she is on, all she knows is it's too late to turn back for she has made her decision.

An edgy contemporary romance and psychological suspense thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 08:28:56 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,207,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible