Dad's First Day by Mike Wohnoutka

Dad's First Day

by Mike Wohnoutka

This book helps guide children to begin to understand that their parents also might have different emotions from themselves. Children can begin to understand that their parents might also be feeling the same emotions as themselves.
  gonzalr | Jul 26, 2017 |
Helps children address their emotions, one in particular is nervousness and anxiety.
  Mickhaela08 | Nov 30, 2016 |
The book "Dad's First Day" is a picture book about how parents and kids feel about the first day of school. I liked this book. I felt that the illustrations were colorful and the change in font sizes and boldness kept the reader engaged. The book was also funny. The picture and language were clever and funny which rendered the book more interesting then I would have anticipated. The overall message of this book is that all a parent wants for their child is for he/she to be happy.
  jessclark | Nov 8, 2016 |
In my opinion, this was a good book. I liked the plot of this book because it was about first day jitters, but it was about Oliver's dad's first day jitters instead of Oliver's. It was cute that the story showed how parents can be just as uneasy, if not more uneasy, about the first day of school too. It was funny how Oliver's dad was the one who's tummy hurt and the one that didn't want to leave Oliver in class, when normally, it is reversed.

Second, I liked the writing and illustrations of the book. The went together nicely to help enhance the written text. The way that some of the illustrations were placed on some of the pages helped give the story a nice pace. For example on some pages of the book, there were multiple pictures of different actions and right underneath of each picture was a sentence of the story. It helped to pace the reader instead of reading the short sentences so fast.

The big idea of the story is that some people may get nervous about the first day of school and that's okay. ( )
  cboswe2 | Sep 22, 2016 |
This book was very cute. It showed a relationship between a boy and his dad on his first day of school. It shows the struggles of the dad not wanting to let go of the fun time him and his son had during the summer. I would recommend it to a kindergartner struggling to be away from their parents.
Realistic Fiction
Use: to show picture to text and to show basic vocabulary. ( )
  Nicholepeterse | Jan 31, 2016 |

Oliver and Dad have spent a fun summer together but when it comes time for the first day of school, Dad discovers that he is not ready and does everything he can to postpone the big day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,738,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible