The Tempestuous Debutante by Becky Lower

The Tempestuous Debutante

by Becky Lower

421,664,912 (4)None

Becky Lower has a gift with words and thankfully she decided to share her gift with us. The latest entry in the mid-19c historical romance Cotillion Ball Series features Jasmine Fitzpatrick and her effort to find a husband before the newest round of debutants steal her thunder. Angry at being denied a proper debutant season the previous year, and because her father refused her a new wardrobe, she is determined to win the hand of the English Lord Alistair before the season begins. Alistair, an older widower, has come to America to begin a horse race track, but he can't imagine doing so without his horse-handling equal partner, former stable boy Parr O'Shaughennesy. Parr helps Jasmine not only pursue Alistair, but also develop her latent talent for fashion and design. As she experiences career success she must decide between passion and duty.

Lower's vivid descriptions make this book come alive. I could practically smell the barn and see the fashions. I also loved the story arc. There are plenty of books out there with self-indulgent, whiney heroines. If you only read the first ten pages or were tempted to skip this book because of previous encounters with Jasmine, please read the whole book, enjoy the transformation and how Lower brings humanity to Jasmine's character. It is a treat, as is this book.

I received an ARC in exchange for review and I'm glad I did. ( )
  LolaKarns | Jul 6, 2015 |

I received an ARC in exchange for review and I'm glad I did. ( )
  LolaKarns | Jul 6, 2015 |

It's Jasmine Fitzpatrick's year to shine at this season's Cotillion and men will be throwing themselves at her. But she sets her sights on a man she's never met, the Viscount of Foxborough. He's wealthy and has an English title. Only a few things stand in her way: a wealthy, young, beautiful widow who captures the viscount's attention immediately, her fear of riding horses when he owns a breeding stable and racetrack, and the viscount's stableboy, Parr. Parr O'Shaughnessy loses his heart to Jasmine the moment he meets her. However, he has no title to interest her. He left behind an impoverished existence in Ireland when the viscount offered to bring him and his famous horse to America to build a dynasty together. He believes Jasmine barely noticed him when she was introduced - she only had eyes for the viscount. He struggles with his loyalty to the viscount and his love for Jasmine. But winning her love might mean losing all he has worked for.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,695,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible