Hemi: A History of Chrysler's Iconic V-8 In…

Hemi: A History of Chrysler's Iconic V-8 In Competition

by Geoff Stunkard

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as a LibraryThing advance and really wasn't sure what to expect. What I received was a beautifully laid-out hardcover volume covering the Chrysler's HEMI in all its glory! This is the definitive guide to the HEMI with beautiful color and black and white images to enhance every detail - and for details - wow there are some great explanations regarding the engineering of these great engines. From the First-Generation (1953-1962) to the end-of-era HEMI motors in the late 70's, the details are all here, along with design diagrams, photos of parts, the people involved in design-through-manufacture, and the racing history of each iteration. If it sounds like I'm impressed, then yes, verily.

Sure I knew a bit about the HEMI prior to receiving this book, but after reading it (and yes this is one of those instances where it captured my attention from cover-to-cover) I think I've increased my knowledge by one order of magnitude (10x in other words). There's a ton of information around the NHRA and NASCAR runs that made the engine famous, and in turn raised Chrysler to a new status in both competition and retail sales. I liked the details around experiments in fuel injection and various ignition layouts to increase off-the-line speeds. The book also covers much of the thinking to take this motor from the track back to the streets. If you're into racing you need this book. If you're into Chargers, Road Runners, Super Bees and A-Bombs, you need this book! There's also much coverage of the Superbird and Cudas of my childhood - man this book is packed.

Kudos to the author, Geoff Stunkard for putting together a book worthy of HEMI! ( )
  johnnyapollo | Apr 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A beautifully done book. Wonderful illustrations. Detailed history. I was glued to it until the last page.....hated to see it end. I highly recommend it to all!
  Herrington33 | Oct 2, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Enjoyed the history of the Hemi and the photos which explodes in this book. Pages after pages of its very beginning and present development. Precisely crafted with detailed information. Did you feel the adrenaline pumping engine? I did! Exquisite photos. My husband is blown away by this book and he is the backyard mechanic, I assist, thank you very much :-) However I am the reviewer so I know Hemi fanatics will gravitate to this book. CarTech is by far an excellent book of information and reference to get your project going. The author Geoff Drunkard out did himself here, he brought quality information to help ease the pain to a backyard mechanic. I received a free copy that I had won through LibraryThing book giveaway. Thank you! ( )
  dlc18 | Sep 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have always been in love with the Hemi. I have read many books and articles in magazines about the fast Hemi racing cars and it's history but this is one of the better books I have read. I go way back to the 60's and 70's in racing so I enjoyed the chapters on this era. This will definitely make my collection....one that will be on display on the shelf. I own a Hemi now and I love it. Best engine around. ( )
  outdoorsman | Sep 16, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Geoff Stunkard, a veteran author, editor and photojournalist has put together a fine volume on the history of the milestone Hemi V8. This work, coming out as it is on the eve of the end of the large displacement V8s, is a complete look at the design, development and implementation of the engine.

The book starts with an explanation of the magic of the hemispherical combustion chamber. It traces its use from aircraft engine to auto design. With cutaway images and lots and lots of photos, this book brims with detail.

But the fun really starts in the history of the use of the Hemi in Indi cars, NASCAR, dragsters, and street racers. The thunder of the Chrysler motors sounded from the aftermath of the NHRA nationals when “Al” Eckstand blew the doors off of a 409 Chevy to the last stand of the Hemi in today’s Top Fuel cars.

This fine book traces every step of the journey, every modification, every rule change, and how the challenge of the change was met by engineers. With page after page of photos of classic machines and stories, the development is traced. This is a fine addition to the Car Tech® series of books and I could not recommend it any higher.

A free copy of this book was provided for the purpose of review. ( )
  hippypaul | Sep 14, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Geoff Stunkard's book Hemi: A History of Chrysler's Iconic V-8 In Competition was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible