Europa Journal by Jack Castle

Europa Journal

by Jack Castle

Studying history, during World War11, five bombers disappeared near the Bermuda Triangle. Other similar unexplained occurrences happened in earth's history.
Could the discovery on Europa in 2168 be somehow linked with these disappearances?
Mac felt this was an opportunity to "walk in her father's footsteps" and maybe even find him, or at least learn of him? What appeared to be an unique, yet exciting opportunity may not be as it appeared. Was this mission designed for discovery or failure?
The action never stops, the next adventure never ceases, and the surprises steadily come. Along with a large amount of graphic violence is a touch of romance. This is quite well written, The only problems I had with it was the graphic violence and it lacked the "smoothness" in the flow of the story formulating in the beginning chapters. I felt somewhat confused at first as to what time period I was reading and how it pertained to the story. It needed to be slightly clearer.

*This book was a gift. There was no suggestion of a positive review. This is my honest review. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Jul 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Europa Journal tells the stories of two strong leaders thrown into situations beyond their understanding. The first story focuses on a World War II fighter pilot the second on a team of future astronauts. This book took me a while to get through putting it down for months at a time but I did read the second half much more quickly than the first. A lot of heavy handed foreshadowing and over exaggeration of the impact of the events of the story made it a little over the top in places. Overall the hard science fiction drifted into some deep theology that I wasn't expecting and I am not sure if it helped the story or not. ( )
  hollicolli | Jun 13, 2017 |
Harry Reed was part of a US military training flight that left Florida in December 1945. It vanished in the Bermuda Triangle. How did his body end up inside a submerged pyramid on Europa about two hundred years later?

Commander Mackenzie O'Bryant is called in, because she has a prominent place in Reed's journal, which she pockets. A member of her crew accidentally pushes the On button. They just manage to escape the flooding of the pyramid, but they don't escape the suddenly-created wormhole that sends them Somewhere Else.

After crash landing on an alien planet, their attempts at First Contact do not go well. They eventually meet up with Reed, who is the only survivor of his flight. He has been accepted by several awumpai (think of a samurai crossed with a yeti). The planet is ruled by a very powerful being called Atum-Khaos. He knows of Earth's existence. His ultimate objective is to take an entire floating city back through the wormhole, and kill or enslave all of humanity. Can he be stopped by a handful of humans, and a couple of World War II-era bomber aircraft? How does Reed's body get to Europa?

I totally enjoyed this novel. It's very easy to read, with heart and emotion along with very alien aliens. It also has lots of action, with a rather high body count by the end. This is another case where just as a novel, this is excellent. Considering that it is the author's first SF novel brings it to the level of Wow. ( )
  plappen | Dec 29, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Is it a rule of writing that anything involving the Bermuda Triangle sounds good but ends up being shite? In this case, not only do we have turgid writing "'I have a visual line of sight,' Leo announced." but technical goofs that should never have been drafted, let alone survived through editing (the shuttle wasn't designed to land on an Earth-like planet, why in Spock's name not). The crash landing in Chapter 1 is an essay on how not to write.

I could not bear to read this thing.

I received a review copy of "Europa Journal" by Jack Castle through LibraryThing.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Aug 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jack Castle's "Europa Journal" is a very thrilling science fiction read. The story draws you in from page one and keeps you in tight grips until you reach the last sentence. The action starts almost from the very beginning and continues non-stop throughout the book. Likewise, the book is extremely suspenseful and unpredictable. Besides the strong suspense and action, character development is present as well.

"Europa Journal" is definitely a satisfying and enjoyable read. I would highly recommend it to any fan of hard science fiction thrillers. ( )
  vohiv239 | Jul 23, 2016 |
“Those who from heaven to earth came eventually tired of their toils, so they created a primitive worker.”
— Sumerian tablet, c. 2000 B.C.

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” — Hebrews 11:1
Dedicated To Those Who Kept the Dream Alive...
My wife, muse, and soul mate, Tracy Tortora
My first and biggest fan, (and best friend), Chad Bryant
My mentor who helped me hone my craft, Dr. J.P. Waller
My other best friend, Greg Wahlman
My sister, Margie, who typed up my very first script, Hunter Joe
Our Lord and Savior
On 5 December 1945, five TBM Avenger bombers embarked on a training mission off the coast of Florida and mysteriously vanished without a trace in the Bermuda Triangle.

The history of humanity is about to change forever... On 5 December 1945, five TBM Avenger bombers embarked on a training mission off the coast of Florida and mysteriously vanish without a trace in the Bermuda Triangle. A PBY search and rescue plane with thirteen crewmen aboard sets out to find the Avengers . . . and never returns. In 2168, a mysterious five-sided pyramid is discovered on the ocean floor of Jupiter's icy moon, Europa. Commander Mac O'Bryant and her team of astronauts are among the first to enter the pyramid's central chamber. They find the body of a missing World War II pilot, whose hands clutch a journal detailing what happened to him after he and his crew were abducted by aliens and taken to a place with no recognizable stars. As the pyramid walls begin to collapse around Mac and her team, their names mysteriously appear within its pages and they find themselves lost on an alien world. Stranded with no way home, Mac decides to retrace the pilot's steps. She never expects to find the man alive. And if the man has yet to die, what does that mean for her and the rest of her crew?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jack Castle's book Europa Journal was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,738,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible