I'm Right Here by Constance Ørbeck-Nilssen

I'm Right Here (2011)

by Constance Ørbeck-Nilssen

Other authors: Akin Düzakin (Illustrator)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This text is emotionally honest if occasionally heavy-handed. I am, however, willing to allow some degree of stiltedness because of the nature of translation. The illustrations are lovely and idiosyncratic. I don't see this working well as a shared reading experience or really for bibliotherapeutic intentions.
  kleahey | Mar 7, 2017 |
“I’m Right Here” is a story about Willie and his grandmother. The book talks about a subject that is difficult to talk about, especially with children, however very necessary. That subject is death. The reality is that every living thing, including those that you love and yourself, will die someday. This book addresses this reality in a way that children can understand and and be content with. I thought it did a wonderful job of developing two realistic characters, both with rich personalities. When talking about what happens after you die, the author stays away from religion, which would alienate some readers. The illustrations portray warm, green forest scenes, and when Willie speaks of fears, the pages are dark and bleak. I would recommend reading this book, especially to a child who is approaching a circumstance in which they will have to face death of a pet or family member.
Willie and Grandma are walking through the forest when Willie asks Grandma what she is afraid of. Grandma says, “that I won’t see the squirrels anymore”. Willie says that he is afraid of things such as big dogs and the dark. Grandma says she is afraid of not seeing the things she enjoys, including Willie. She says that when she is gone, she will be able to watch over Willie, and he will feel her presence as well.
  btadde1 | Sep 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A story about about fears. Grandma and William share their fear with each other. William is afraid of the usual things: dogs, sharks, etc. Grandma tells of her fears of what she will miss when she dies. As a grandmother this book hit home, I could totally relate to it. The illustrations are colorful and pleasant. [received as a LibraryThing review book] ( )
  KS_Library | Jan 12, 2016 |
This unusual story is about a little boy named William who, while taking a walk with his grandma, asks her if she is ever afraid. They then compare their fears. The little boy is afraid of typical things that scare kids, like angry dogs, stinging wasps, dangerous fires, sharks, wars, thunder and lightning.

The grandmother, amazingly honest for a kid’s book, points out the things she is afraid of, such as never again seeing flowers in bloom, or hearing the birds sing in the springtime. The boy doesn’t get it.

Grandma explains that when she was young, she had fears more like those of the little boy. Now that she is old, “I’m just afraid of losing everything I love.” She explains:

“‘When we get old, we die,’ says Grandma, ‘and then I won’t be able to see you anymore.’”

He asks, couldn’t she see him from wherever she goes? And couldn’t she then still see the flowers and birds, and “everything”?

“‘You are absolutely right,’” says Grandma.

So, the boy concludes, Grandma needn’t be afraid anymore:

“‘No, I don’t need to be,’ she smiles, ‘when I can see everything I love.’ She ruffles Willima’s hair a bit. ‘Maybe you’ll see me too?’ ‘I guess I will,’ William says, and smiles back.”

Illustratrator Akin Duzakin uses a soft focus and an alternating palette to contrast the fears of the boy and the grandmother. The overall tone is of warmth and comfort, especially in the pictures that close the story.

Evaluation: This books provides a very nice way to teach small children about the different perspectives of children and adults, and to open discussions about fears in general and about death in particular. ( )
  nbmars | Nov 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is another great book offered by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers. I have read quite a few of their books over the last few years, and they seem to have a nice standard of quality both in the whimsical nature of the artwork and the thoughtful storytelling.
The story itself is simple, comparing what scares a young boy to what scares his grandmother. The boy's fears are immediate threats, such as angry dogs and dangerous fires. The grandmother fears not being able to enjoy and spend time with the things and people she loves. The book introduces the idea of death in a very gentle way, and the boy and his grandmother are able to offer each other comfort. The illustrations complement the story and help the reader to see the world as the grandmother does, so we understand why she fears losing it. I have yet to get to the end of this book with dry eyes, but my son (age 6) loves it and doesn't find it disturbing or challenging in any way. In addition to providing an opportunity to talk about death, this book also can be used to start a discussion about fears in general. ( )
  kmctigue2002 | Sep 2, 2015 |

Ørbeck-Nilssen, Constanceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Düzakin, AkinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

“Are you ever afraid?” William asks his grandmother. But her answer isn’t what he expects. His grandma isn’t afraid of big dogs or thunder and lightning like William is. Instead, she’s afraid that she won’t see the flowers bloom next spring. She’s afraid that she’ll miss the magpie building its nest. Most of all, she’s afraid of losing the things she loves -- especially William. But then it’s William’s turn to surprise her with his response.

With soft, inviting artwork, this reassuring story contains a stirring message about the power and constancy of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:25:37 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Constance Ørbeck-Nilssen's book I'm Right Here was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible