The Blue Dragon: A Peter Strand Mystery…

The Blue Dragon: A Peter Strand Mystery (Rapid Reads)

by Ronald Tierney

mom (141)

An investigator, Peter Strand, is hired to look into the death of a tenant in a client's apartment building in San Francisco's Chinatown. While he is of Chinese ethnicity, Peter was orphaned at an early age and raised by white Americans. He therefore feels he is neither American nor Chinese. In his investigation he interviews the tenants of the building and finds each has secrets, some harmless, some less so. In the end he finds the killer and comes closer to finding who he is.

It's great short story, hopefully the first of a Peter Strand private investigation series. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Apr 2, 2017 |
Excellent little mystery. 150 pages so it is a very short read, but reminded me of an old Agatha Christie or Charlie Chan mystery, where each of the characters have something to hide and a motive to be the killer. I can't wait for the next in the series. ( )
  zmagic69 | Mar 10, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I too was surprised at how rapid a Rapid Read could be. I tend to get lost in mysteries when I travel, a good way to shorten a long plane flight. The Blue Dragon is well written and an engaging mystery. I just prefer something with more depth and a longer story. ( )
  bill | Nov 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a surprise. When it arrived I thought the number of pages was about a third of a normal book and the print was larger. When I sat down and read the book I was finished in no time at all. I was thinking how strange to write such a quick read. Then I saw on the back Rapid Reads. This book was that. Do not think that because it was a rapid read it was not a good book. The story was well developed, the characters stood on their own and there was even a side story about the primary character that made you want to learn more. The ending was a great twist that made this very short read well worth the read. Just be prepared for it is not the Great American Novel but still a Rapid Read ( )
  johntgriffin | Oct 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am familiar with the Rapid Reads imprint of Orca so I was not expecting a densely written, intricately plotted mystery. I did expect to find an engaging story and an interesting protagonist. Instead I was found a superficial tale with a blank where the main character should be. I was also left with a number of questions.

1. Why didn't the owners of the building hire a crisis counselor to calm the residents down instead of assigning perhaps their sole ethnic Chinese employee to take on a task for which he had no training or experience?

2 Why did Peter Strand take on the assignment if he was a forensic accountant and had no experience, contacts or relationship to Chinatown? He did a poor job on his "assignment". From the beginning he seemed to be conducting a very clumsy murder investigation, not alleviating the concerns of the suspects/residents.

3. Why should I care about any of the characters in this story? There are too many people in this short tale and thus are presented in the broadest stereotypes. None of them are particularly pleasant (save for one) so not only did I not care about which of them was the murderer was, I didn't really care if the murderer was revealed.

4. Where were the police? In most mysteries featuring an amateur detective, the amateur in constantly coming up against officialdom and being warned against interfering.

Perhaps future entries in the Peter Strand series will see the character of Peter further fleshed out and the mysteries tightened up. It is an interesting premise and setting. ( )
  madlibrarian | Sep 29, 2015 |

A murder at the Blue Dragon, a small apartment building in San Francisco's Chinatown, prompts the absentee owner to hire Chinese American Peter Strand to calm the anxious tenants. But Strand isn't exactly what he appears to be. Neither are the tenants, who on the surface seem to be regular people going about their lives. Strand, a forensic accountant by trade, doesn't intend to investigate the murder, but he soon realizes that this isn't a gang-related killing, as the police believe. The murder was committed by one of the tenants. Finding out which one exposes the secrets of the Blue Dragon and brings Strand face-to-face with a few ghosts of his own.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ronald Tierney's book The Blue Dragon: A Peter Strand Mystery was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,183,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible