The Prince Who Was Just Himself by Silke…

The Prince Who Was Just Himself

by Silke Schnee

English (16)  German (1)  All (17)
The Prince Who Was Just Himself is an adorable book about young Prince Noah who wasn't quite like his brothers-or anyone else in the kingdom. Prince Noah has a type of Downs Syndrome, which is explained in a very simple and sweet way that I think most children could understand. He is rather slow, simple, and nonathletic, but also very kind. The story just captures my heart as does little Noah. Throughout the story, Noah's behaviors and actions are completely validated in the way they are presented. Even the way he is frequently referred to as The Prince Who was Just Himself tells that it is okay to be different, regardless of what makes you different. It is such a positive book that sends a message that is incredibly important. I hope it both spreads awareness throughout the neurotypical community as well as comfort to those like Noah. We are all just ourselves. ( )
  Jacki_H | Nov 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First I need to say that this is not a beginner reader's picture book. The words are on every other page like you'd expect with a picture book but this book has a more words per page, covering one-quarter of each two page spread. Two pictures cover the other three-quarters. This I like very much. I also like the illustrations.

The story doesn't come right out and say something like "this child has Down syndrome" or anything like that. The Queen and the King both mention that he looks different but the siblings accept him right away. The town people are horrid but Prince Noah is just happy to be out in the sun.

Like all good picture books, something bad almost happens but Prince Noah saves the day and all the town people love him. Prince Noah doesn't really care, he's just happy to be out in the sun.

Moral of the story? Be accepting, we are all different from each other as well as being the same. And then there's enjoy the journey for it is good to be out in the sun ;-)

I'm sad that I don't have a little one to read this too!

The book was also reviewed on my blog (www.bookdragonslair.com) ( )
  BellaMariposa | May 11, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As an elementary school counselor, I love the theme of this book! "The Prince Who Was Just Himself" delicately tells the story about a little boy who appears different. Although the story never tells why he is different, the reader begins to see how his differences make him unique. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of this book and am looking forward to using it in classroom lessons! ( )
  ktbailin | Feb 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This bright and cheerful illustrated book is a fine one time read for small children. My kids didn't really get into it and it didn't join the favorites of the house pile, but it was an enjoyable time. Wouldn't buy it, but could see pulling it off the shelf if I happened to see it while in the library.
  adamps | Feb 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very good book about a sensitive, but important, topic. Nothing groundbreaking about the story or illustrations, but I'm happy to add this title to my son's library. ( )
  collsers | Jan 5, 2016 |

The royal couple is looking forward to their third child. “He looks a little different,” muses the king at Prince Noah’s arrival. “He is not like the others,” agrees the queen. Soon they notice what a very special person he is, even though he can’t do everything his brothers can.

When the youngest prince disarms the cruel knight Scarface, the nation’s most dreaded enemy, with an act of compassion, everyone finally realizes how good it is that each person is unique.

This delightfully illustrated fairy tale for children three years and older instills appreciation for children with Down syndrome and other developmental challenges, making it a valuable aid for teaching tolerance in the home or classroom.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 18:10:08 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Silke Schnee's book The Prince Who Was Just Himself was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible