Jump Back, Paul: The Life and Poems of Paul…

Jump Back, Paul: The Life and Poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar

by Sally Derby

344329,500 (4)None

In my opinion, this is an emotional book. The book is about a man named Paul Laurence Dunbar and his experiences with Slavery and the mistreatment of people of color. Although the book is emotional, I do think it is a good read. The language in this book, especially, is very descriptive. For example, one line in the book says, "Now, Paul's daddy, Joshua, he was a bitter man, Growing up a slave, he swallowed such a heap of anger, he knew he had to either escape or explode." This language conveys the only options that slaves had back in this time period. To get out of slavery, they had to either escape discreetly and hide or they took their anger out at the owners but then would get killed or thrown in jail. Another aspect I liked about this book is that the illustrations were in black and white and they were appropriate to the mood of the story. Everything back during this time was all about black and white (people), so that's why I think the illustrations are printed in black and white. Also, black and white illustrations convey a sad, emotional mood, which is what this story is all about. ( )
  vziolk1 | Nov 15, 2016 |
biography, poetry, history
  Gabjohnson | Apr 10, 2016 |
I am not usually a big fan of poetry, but I loved this book with its informative and cultural poems. Many of Paul Laurence Dunbar's poems are about the segregation and discrimination African Americans had to deal with in their daily lives. It was a new way for me to look at some of these issues because it was not about one big event that might have made the news, but instead the topics are about daily issues. This story would be an excellent resource for students learning about African American segregation, discrimination and slavery. I would use it for a read allowed in a 4 to 6th grade classroom. It is also a source I would use for an author study lesson.
  Adam_sundstrom | Mar 19, 2016 |
I LOVED this biography of Paul Dunbar. The author has a super strong voice that sings out the story of Paul Dunbar and mixed in between the story are Paul's poems, which are amazing. There are two kinds of poems, one is a traditional, flowery kind of poetry and the second is written in an African American dialect. Equally powerful and rhythmic. I thought this one was terrific. ( )
  imtanner2 | Jul 7, 2015 |

Discover the breadth and depth of Paul Laurence Dunbar’s poetry—and learn how it reflects his singular life as a late-nineteenth-century black man.

Did you know that Paul Laurence Dunbar originated such famous lines as "I know why the caged bird sings" and "We wear the mask that grins and lies"? From his childhood in poverty and his early promise as a poet to his immense fame and his untimely death, Dunbar’s story is one of triumph and tragedy. But his legacy remains in his much-beloved poetry—told in both Standard English and in dialect—which continues to delight and inspire readers today. More than two dozen of Dunbar’s poems are woven throughout this volume, illuminating the phases of his life and serving as examples of dialect, imagery, and tone. Narrating in a voice full of admiration and respect, Sally Derby introduces Paul Laurence Dunbar’s life and poetry to readers young and old, aided by Sean Qualls’s striking black-and-white illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 07 Jul 2015 08:53:42 -0400)

"Did you know that Paul Laurence Dunbar originated such famous lines as "I know why the caged bird sings" and "We wear the mask that grins and lies"? From his childhood in poverty and his early promise as a poet through his struggles to find acceptance as a writer and his tumultuous romance with his wife, to his immense fame and his untimely death, Dunbar's story is one of triumph and tragedy. But his legacy remains in his much-beloved poetry--told in both Standard English and in dialect--which continues to delight and inspire readers today. More than two dozen of Dunbar's poems are woven throughout this volume, illuminating the phases of his life and serving as examples of dialect, imagery, and tone" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,360,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible