They're Not Like Us Volume 1: Black Holes…

They're Not Like Us Volume 1: Black Holes for the Young

by Eric Stephenson

Some really pretty art in this one. There are some characters I almost feel I might like, but maybe not enough to truly feel invested in after 6 issues. That said, interesting premise (though not one that hasn't been done before) approached in a way that feels not quite same ol', same ol' but enough that it kept me (at least) reading. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This comic ran a little stale for me, but I think it's because I've come out the other side of my emo-teenage years.

This story is quite X-Men in the initial conceit: a group of young kids with special snowflake powers. Then it goes all emo, because no one ever loved them because they were special snowflakes.

So of course now they have to be total assholes to everyone in the world and terrorize them like they were terrorized. And have an awesome music room with hipster records.

The art though is so pretty. I love it when artists get creative with the basics of comics (like above with the newspaper style text overlay).

Or here where the idea of Syd having all those voices in her head and then not being there is visualized but the subtle change in background.

From here...

To here...

So lovely.

All that being said, the plot itself is pretty see through. It's not surprising where we end up at the end, though I am still interested enough in the narrative to see where it goes from there.

Copy courtesy of Diamond Book Distributors/Image Comics, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This graphic novel was following me around. I even saw it in physical book stores, where I seldom see graphic novels that are also on Netgalley at the time. So, as I kept coming across it my interest grew and I decided to give it a try even though I didn't really know what it was about and I passed on it when I first saw it.

A bunch of special kids live together being special. That's basically what it is.

It was not for me. I was actually disappointed by the story. There wasn't a single likeable character between them and I couldn't feel any sympathy either. There was a lot of self pity though, how nobody liked them because they were different. I still don't know where the story is going, but frankly I don't really care. The best part for sure was the title. The art was good but didn't blow me away.

Black Holes For The Young is the first volume of They're Not Like Us.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
The story opens with a teen looking for a respite from the, very real, but disbelieved by everyone else, voices in her head. She sees suicide as the only way, the only peace she can find. But someone else offers her an out she takes it and then discovers that their morals don't line up quite with hers.

Interesting exploration of othering. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 7, 2016 |
A group of people with abilities get together

Syd, a telepathic girl about to commit suicide, is saved by the Voice who leads her into a group of like-minded individuals who will and can do anything to preserve their way of life, including killing anyone that could get in their way.

It is about the interaction between the various members of the group and the consequences of their actions

The artwork reminds me of the French “bande dessinée” tradition and is well-executed. The writing is engaging although a little long-winded at the end.

Enjoyable enough – and there is evidently more to come.
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible