Slappy's Tales of Horror (Goosebumps…

Slappy's Tales of Horror (Goosebumps Graphix)

by R. L. Stine

Other authors: Gabriel Hernandez (Illustrator), Ted Naifeh (Illustrator), Dave Roman (Illustrator), Jamie Tolagson (Illustrator)

Series: Goosebumps Graphix (4)

Slappy the Ventriloquist’s Dummy introduces four creepy stories, based on four previously published Goosebumps books. In “A Shocker on Shock Street”, two children are given a chance to test a new theme park attraction that utilizes ultra-realistic special effects. Jamie Tolagson's graphic style recalls old EC horror comics (but child-safe, of course) and the traditional comic book style.

Gabriel Hernandez's sketchier illustrations for “The Werewolf of Fever Swamp” are in line with more contemporary horror comics. This story calls to mind works like The Walking Dead. It's set in a spooky swamp. A boy and his family have recently moved there, and the boy has adopted a large, wolf-like dog. When a rabbit is found brutally mutilated, his new pet is accused, but the boy is determined to prove Wolf's innocence, and discovers something far scarier haunting the swamp.

“Ghost Beach” is illustrated in a Japanese manga style. While the story can be chilling, the cartoon characters don't always convey it authentically. Two girls are staying with cousins for the summer, and befriend some of the local children. The locals tell the girls about a ghost haunting the nearby beach, and ask for their help in permanently ridding the town of the spirit.

I was going to describe the style of the final comic, “Night of the Living Dummy”, as Telgemeier-esque. It seemed all the more apt when I realized that the artist, Dave Roman, is married to Raina Telgemeier. Characters are rounded and cute, almost bouncing from one panel to the next – which suits the story, which revolves around two sisters feuding with ventriloquist dummies. It's Slappy's origin story, and it's an entertaining one.

I remember reading most of these stories in their original book form when I was a kid. I enjoyed them back in the mid-90s and I had fun revisiting them in this new, graphic form. I've always liked the Goosebumps franchise for its ability to introduce something unsettling into a very real-world setting and slowly build on events in a way that ratchets up the tension while remaining gentle enough that the stories don't give kids nightmares. A cartoonish sense of humor pervades all of Goosebumps, and in the four selected stories it doesn't overwhelm the spookiness. I don't know if this is meant to be the first of many graphic adaptations or just a one-off event, but it's a great way to introduce the stories to a new generation of readers. ( )
  makaiju | Jan 4, 2016 |
Three previously published Goosebumps Graphix plus a first-time new Slappy story makes a collection of 4 classic Goosebumps tales in graphic storytelling format. These are fun, creepy stories that delighted. Scary, horror for the younger ages, these are all four winning stories.

A Shocker on Shock Street by Jamie Tolagson - Totally insane and very creepy. I never saw that ending coming! (5/5)

The Werewolf of Fever Swamp by Gabriel Hernandez - A good story. I've read the original GB novel version of this so felt something was missing but a good fright tale. (4/5)

Ghost Beach by Ted Naifeh - Brilliant. I love this author's work and art and he brings a decidedly creepy story. I knew something had to happen but was still surprised by the ending. I kept wondering what about the parents, though? (5/5)

Night if the Living Dummy by Dave Roman - A fun origin story of "Slappy" the Living Dummy (who is in several GB novels though I haven't read any). Silly and a little creepy but mostly fun. (4/5) ( )
  ElizaJane | Sep 7, 2015 |

Stine, R. L.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hernandez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Naifeh, TedIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roman, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolagson, JamieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054583595X, Paperback)

Four Goosebumps Graphix tales by master of horror R. L. Stine are adapted into full-color comics and feature a brand-new Slappy story by bestselling author, Dave Roman.

The talented Dave Roman creates the horrifying drawings for "The Night of the Living Dummy," the origin story about that most evil of all ventriloquist dummies, Slappy!

In "A Shocker on Shock Street," Jamie Tolagson captures the chilling tale of a brother and sister doing their dream job: testing rides in a movie studio theme park, where the special effects are REALLY special.

With his shadowy illustrations, Gabriel Hernandez creates the perfect atmosphere in "The Werewolf of Fever Swamp," a spooky story about a boy and his dog who go sniffing around in a lonely swamp . . . and wish they hadn't.

Ted Naifeh is at his creepy best in "Ghost Beach," a scary ghost story about a brother and sister who investigate a local legend and discover a terrible secret about their family.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:19:23 -0400)

A collection of short graphic novels featuring characters from famous "Goosebumps" stories includes "Ghost Beach," in which two siblings investigate a local legend and discover a terrible secret about their family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,486,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible