Kid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from…

Kid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from Sports Legends (Kid Legends)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Kid Athletes" includes childhood stories of 16 famous athletes. I donated my early reviewer copy to the school where I work. The students keep it checked out and really enjoy learning about these athletes. I also purchased the other two books in the series to place in the library collection as well. ("Kid Presidents" & "Kid Artists") ( )
  plnorris | Mar 5, 2017 |
Kid Athletes is a fun book about various athletes during their childhoods. The tales about about 10 pages long for each athlete and tell a story that helped get them to the place they are today - as well known, successful athletes. Some of the athletes included are Danica Patrick, Mohammad Ali, Bruce Li, Gabby Douglas etc. There are a wide range of sports included, both males and females, and older as well as more recent athletes. So the book did a great job hitting the spectrum.

I enjoyed reading about these people and it is always refreshing to know that they led very normal lives at one point. I think young readers will enjoy the stories too. There are a lot of fun facts about the various athletes and any kid that enjoys sports will get a few good laughs.

Overall, I found this book very well done. It was entertaining and enjoyable and I think a young reader would like it. I plan on passing my copy along to my younger brothers who are very into sports facts, but I think a young girl would be just as amused. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |

This book teaches kids that some of the heroes of sports weren't held back by their humble, oppressive beginnings.

Written geared toward children, obviously, but being clueless about sports, I didn't know any of this. The author took well known athletes and showed their upbringing and struggles to get to the top. Babe Ruth opens the book, and perhaps had the most heartbreaking story. He and the next, Jackie Robinson, both showed that having one person in their corner made all the difference in turning their lives around, redirecting their negative energies into positive things, and turning mentors into heroes. The wife of Babe Ruth ends his chapter with these wise words that sums it up: "When Babe Ruth was twenty-three, the world loved him," she said. "When he was thirteen, only Brother Matthias loved him." With Jackie, so much animosity was overcome because of racism, his pastor helped a lot of the kids.

The third story is on the tennis star, Billie Jean King, who had remarkable determination despite poverty, racism, and her parents being the only backers in her corner until later. Peyton Manning was a strange story because it was the only one did that not showcase what he grew up to do, instead talking about a struggle with dancing in front of everyone at a play. Danica Patrick was covered with being fearless and racing...fast, but I didn't feel the same empathy with her.

The second section was called family matters, focusing on Bobby Orr, Michael Jordan (he WAS clumsy), Tiger Woods, who was a prodigy from the start, Yao Ming, and Gabrielle Douglas.

Finally the third section is on Practice makes perfect, opening with Babe Didrikson Zaharrias (what a remarkable girl and woman!), Bruce Lee (had no idea he was such a troublemaker and rough), Mahammad Ali, Jesse Kuhaula, Julie Krone and the Marvelous Mischievious Pony (this was an endearing story about a pony more than the sports star) and ends with Lionel Messi.

A lot of these stories have poverty and setbacks as a shared bond, with determination and having that special person in your corner being the instigator for success. It's inspiring for kids, especially those who want to delve into sports. There are cute illustrations, some of them cleverly humorous, to help the book along. There are no actual pictures of the sport stars themselves. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very interesting read. Well written in a manner that kids would like, and filled with interesting tidbits about the athletes' lives. I learned several things that I didn't know! The athletes cover a wide variety of sports so there is a little something for everyone. The chapters are short. This is a great book for all ages and readers. Even reluctant readers won't be able to pass this one up! ( )
  irishmbo | Mar 5, 2016 |
Sixteen "true tales from the childhoods of famous athletes, from Babe Ruth (so incorrigible that his parents put him in reform school at age 7) to Muhammad Ali (who learned to fight at age 12 after a thief stole his bicycle)"--Amazon.com. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Feb 27, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Kid Athletes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,069,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible