From the Ashes (Legend of the Liberator Book…

From the Ashes (Legend of the Liberator Book 1)

by Shelby K. Morrison

222,551,640 (4.5)None
Recently added bysszkutak, SheriAWilkinson

No tags.

From the Ashes is a story about a teenage girl who has the gift of bending - she can manipulate the world around her, and where she comes from that means death. We follow Maia/ Aia through her journey to get away from the powers trying to kill her.

I love a good fantasy and this is just that - a good one. I was happy to have read it and the plot was very good but for some strange reason I found myself dragging through it.

Side rant: Maia goes by the name Aia and for a long time I was reading I didn't notice the name changes then all of a sudden I did and though there were a lot of typos - then I realized that apparently the main character was going two names but for a whole 5 minutes I was very confused (too much reading maybe)

Anyways - Aia is on the run, she is a teen girl who has up until today been hidden and fro the beginning it was hard for me to grasp her age, sometimes it reads like she is 14 and other times 18, but the plot was a very good one. The readers gets to view the search for Aia from her perspective and from a Breaker - one of the guys in charge of finding her and I really enjoyed that. However what I enjoyed the most were all the twists in the plotline - there were quite a few of them. Some you can see coming both others were very out of nowhere and I loved it. The chase for Aia to hide and Cole to find her were riveting.

Like I mentioned though, I felt somewhat disconnected to the character, her age is stated but sometimes isn't too believable. So I found it hard to engage with her - thus the dragging of the book for me and the 4 and not 5 star rating.

Overall, it was a very good read. ( )
  sszkutak | Jul 8, 2015 |
Eighteen year old Aia Wynnald had it all living as a highborn in the Kingdom of Tharien. Then she learns the truth about herself. She is a bender. Benders are feared and hunted, known for being evil.

Once her powers are released she fleas everything she knows, not wanting to become a monster. Soon Aia learns it is up to her to determine the fate of Tharien. She is faced with many challenges, learning to control her ability and not knowing who to trust. Will she trust the right people? Will she make the right choices?

I liked Aia. (She) being young and learning she is not who she thinks she is becomes a challenge for her to accept. Watching her accept who she is and learning about her abilities, how to control herself and learning about her family secrets was intense.

There is action, suspense and secrets. Well written with vivid details, I felt I was part of the story. I liked the originality, the plot , the characters. I felt there was a balanced blend of, drama, action and suspense to making me want to keep reading without stopping. I was hooked, I could not put it down.

I highly recommend From the Ashes to Y/A & Adult readers who love a great fantasy. I also liked the cover art. It captured a moment of the story and is quite fitting. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | May 1, 2015 |

Shelby K. Morrison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,357,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible