The Life and Trial of Lizzie Borden: The…

The Life and Trial of Lizzie Borden: The History of 19th Century America's…

by Charles River Editors (Editor)

731,138,814 (2.67)None

This book has been criticised for length and poor print quality, but if one looks beyond that it is rather informative for its size. Most media does not go into the case as well---it is mainly a blurb asserting that Lizzy did commit the murders and not making it clear that she had been a quitted.
This book concentrates on the morning of the murders and ends with her acquittal. But the book does raise more questions that one does wish had been dealt with further. For example, it states that Lizzy had attempted to buy cyanide a few days prior to the murders but had been denied by the pharmacist. It does not state what reason she had given the pharmacist to try to obtain it, however. It states that another reason she came under suspicion was because she had destroyed a blue dress, but nowhere was it stated what she had been wearing on the day of the murders (the dress had also been destroyed in the presence of witnesses that had told investigators they had not seen any blood on the garment).
The book does not assert that she was wrongly accused, but that she was believed guilty by her odd behaviour and inability to reply properly to questions during the investigation. It also brought up the question (but not the answer, unfortunately) why her sister or the servant, or the stranger lurking outside the house (observed by two people the week of the murders) were not investigated more throughly.
Over all this is a good starting get point if you want to know more about the case, but it is certainly not a full case record or biography. ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | May 27, 2016 |
I am giving this only 1 star for length alone. This was one of the most interesting murder cases in American History yet this "book" is only 44 pages long. This includes many pictures so there is very little text. Unfortunately, I bought this thinking it was an actual book. It is not. It is a Wikipedia article with a binding. There are many real books about Lizzie Borden. I would recommend you find one of those and skip this. ( )
  Canadian_Down_Under | Oct 21, 2015 |
The Life and Trial of Lizzie Borden: The History of 19th Century America's Most Famous Murder Case is a 56 page summary of the events that took place in 1892 Fall River, Massachusetts.

If you do not have any knowledge of this true crime story or only the very tiniest idea of the legend of Lizzie Borden, then this book is a great introduction into the facts surrounding the case.

I am already familiar with the basics, so this book was nothing more than a recap for me , but I did find the recommended reading at the end of the book to be helpful, and after you finish this book, you will most likely want to read a more in depth study of the case.

I admit I pulled the "one-click" stunt and didn't realize until it was too late the book was so short, because if I had been paying attention to the details I would have passed on this one, but while this is merely a summation, it is well organized and will give a researcher or true crime reader a place to start with the basic facts laid out for you.

So, although the book was not of much help to me and I didn't learn anything I didn't already know, this book is good place start for the novice.

Overall 3 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jul 16, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible