What Angels Fear by C. S. Harris

What Angels Fear

by C. S. Harris

Series: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries (1)

Recently added byRobynReo, private library, Lori76, Catsysta, waclements7, almin, MissHavisham, AmaliaGavea

What Angels Fear
4 Stars

When the body of a young woman is discovered on the steps of an alter in a London church next to a distinctive pistol, Sebastian St. Cyr becomes the prime suspect. In order to clear his name, Sebastian will have to go on the run and investigate the crime himself with the aid of Tom, a snarky street urchin, and Kat, the woman who broke his heart. Can he uncover the truth before the real killer strikes again?

A very entertaining historical mystery. Harris seamlessly merges the fictional plot with the historical facts of the regency period (although the forensic details may not be all that accurate). The investigation is fast-paced with some exciting action scenes and a satisfying climax and resolution. The characters are fleshed out well, especially Sebastian whose inner demons and intriguing abilities make him particularly endearing.

The biggest problem with the story is the unappealing heroine. Not only do I have a huge aversion to the keeping secrets trope (and she is keeping a doozy), but her actions toward the end are inconsistent with her characterization - is she a damsel in distress or a hardened spy?. Moreover, she comes across as far too damaged and her relationship with Sebastian doesn't seem to be all that healthy.

In sum, the solid writing, compelling mystery and engaging hero more than make up for the minor issues and I’m looking forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Maybe a bit too "romancy" for me? This is the first of the series, so lots of character building. Post-French Revolution London, as elements of the tired PTSD Dr. Watson, unnatural, animalistic reflexes (like Sherlock), and various other bits that remind me of detectives I enjoy.
So this was fun, and diverting.
Sebastian apparently can attribute his exceptional hearing/sight/reflexes to Bithil Syndrome (no, he doesn't know this, it's 17th centuary England!)... which the author swears is a real thing:

Hey, benefit of the doubt.

Will continue with this series. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
This book is set in 1811 England, and figures a lead character who is accused of murder and goes on the run to prove his innocence. It is set against the beginning of the Regency period (when the future George IV is made Regent, because his father George III is declared mad) which leads to a backdrop of political machinations. This really is an excellent read and I look forward to continuing the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Nov 3, 2017 |
It's wonderful to be truly surprised. This book surprised me in that I not only liked it...I loved it. Although I am a huge fan of history as a subject...I am not and never have been a historical mystery fan. I took up this book because of a group that I do group reads with each month...approaching it cautiously. The more I read the more I liked it. You'll need to be on your toes and possibly have a spreadsheet for this one. We are introduced to a wide group of characters who...I'm sure...will figure into the next twelve books in the series. The plot is well done . I found myself struggling to find the killer among all the possible suspects that we had to choose from and working against the fact that 1811 had no forensic science available as we do today that would have almost immediately eliminated most of them. Bottom line is it was well written, good character envelopment and I am so looking forward to more of Sebastian St. Cyr. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 3, 2017 |
Book Description:
The prime suspect in the brutal rape and murder of a young woman whose body is left on the altar steps of an ancient church, Sebastian St. Cyr, a young aristocrat haunted by his experiences in the Napoleonic Wars, becomes a fugitive, joining forces with an unlikely group of allies as he flees a ruthless powerbroker with ties to the Prince Regent.

My Review:
This is a well-written, action-packed, historical mystery set in 1811 Regency England. I found the characters fascinating. I especially liked Sebastian and can't wait to find out more about him and his background. Loved Kat Boleyn and Tom too and hope to see them in the future books. There were lots of clues and suspects and the killer was hard to determine. Since it was pre-scientific methods, I missed the forensics of the modern day mystery novels. I found the book to be a page-turner and can't wait to read the next installment. I would highly recommend this series to lovers of historical mysteries with a bit of romance. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 2, 2017 |

C. S. Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gant, Jamie A.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maximilian Stock LTDJacket photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raven, DeborahJacket photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigal, ElkeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No place so sacred from such fops is barred,

Nor is Paul's Church more safe than Paul's Churchyard;

Nay fly to altars; there they'll talk you dead,

For fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

-- Alexander Pope,

An Essay on Criticism
For my husband
Steven Ray Harris
for more reasons than I could name
She blamed the fog.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219716, Mass Market Paperback)

It's 1811, and the threat of revolution haunts the upper classes of King George III's England. Then a beautiful young woman is found savagely murdered on the altar steps of an ancient church near Westminster Abbey. A dueling pistol found at the scene and the damning testimony of a witness both point to one man-Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, a brilliant young nobleman shattered by his experience in the Napoleonic Wars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:20 -0400)

The prime suspect in the brutal rape and murder of a young woman whose body is left in an ancient church, young aristocrat Sebastian St. Cyr becomes a fugitive and flees a ruthless powerbroker with ties to the Prince Regent.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,003,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible