Leo: A Ghost Story by Mac Barnett

Leo: A Ghost Story

by Mac Barnett

Other authors: Christian Robinson (Illustrator)

Its about a boy who is a ghost named Leo. He lived in this one house for years until family moved in and he left and moved into another house where he met a little girl. I like this book because it shows that most of the ghost aren't that bad. I would use this book in my classroom for two reasons. The first reason is that you can do a group talking about the book. The second reason is that you could also be a lesson that not everyone is bad. This book would be good for begging readers. ( )
  Cassandra.k | Apr 27, 2017 |
This was a bittersweet book and, as much as I like Mac Barnett, I am not sure how I feel about this one. The story began with a little ghost boy who haunted the house he lived in before he died and follows him through his realization that he can no longer be seen by most people. He tries to play with and help the people who come through and live in the house, but he just scares them all away - until he meets a girl who can see him. They become friends and he saves the family from a robber in the night.
Uses: I don't think I would use this in the classroom in a lesson or anything, but, because it is so interesting and well-written, I might have it in my classroom library available for my students to look at.
Medium: acrylic
  meggienell | Apr 15, 2016 |
This is a good example of a fantasy because it connects two worlds into one - the world of a ghost and the "real" world. From the perspective of Leo (the ghost), we explore the world around him. A new family moves into his home and he begins to feel misunderstood when he tries making friends with them. The young girl in the family soon calls him her imaginary friend which makes him happy. Though this is a fantasy book and it explores the idea of ghosts, it is still very relatable. Children often feel misunderstood. It is important to explore the concept of misunderstandings or the feeling of being misunderstood. It is a hard concept to cover, but it is important. I would have this book in my classroom library so that the students will be able to read it.
Media: Acrylic, cut out construction paper
  anine14 | Apr 12, 2016 |
I picked this the first time. My kids really enjoyed Leo and requested repeated readings. I wasn't surprised that my older child liked it, but that my younger child did. He's normally scared by ghosts but since Leo is such a sweet character and it's such a fun book, he enjoyed it.

Pros: Fun illustrations, a sweet ghost and a spunky little girl will have young readers asking for this over and over again.

There's more to our review. Visit The Reading Tub®. While you’re there, add a link to your review of the book.
  TheReadingTub | Apr 3, 2016 |
I absolutely love this story about Leo. The main idea of the story was encouraging imagination and the strength of friendship. The first thing I really love about this story is the main idea itself. Imagination is a quality that is just so beautiful and pure. Too many times we try to push children to grow up faster and make it through this imagination stage quicker. The second thing I really liked about this story was the way the pictures were done. Everything is in blue, including Leo. The story encourages readers to look for Leo throughout the story, which enhances the idea of the strength of friendship. Even though Leo was a ghost, his real friend could see him. A third thing I really like about this book is the cultural diversity that is displayed throughout the book. It doesn't stick to stereotypes. For example, the book displays a home with land in the country, as well as the city. The book also has characters of different of different ethnicities and a final example is a female cop. Being a book about a ghost and the colors use, one might assume boys would be more interested, and yet it still breaks the stereotype of strong, independent males and dependent females. In all aspects, this was an incredible book. ( )
  edudle2 | Mar 2, 2016 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robinson, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jon Klassen. -- M.B.
For friends, real and imaginary. -- C.R.
This is Leo.

You would like being friends with Leo. He likes to draw, he makes delicious snacks, and most people can't even see him. Because Leo is also a ghost. When a new family moves into his home and Leo's efforts to welcome them are misunderstood, Leo decides it is time to leave and see the world. That is how he meets Jane, a kid with a tremendous imagination and an open position for a worthy knight. That is how Leo and Jane become friends. And that is when their adventures begin. This charming tale of friendship from two of the best young minds in picture books: the author of the Caldecott Honor winning Extra Yarn and the illustrator of the Bologna Ragazzi Award winning Josephine is destined to become a modern classic that will delight readers for years to come.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,027,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible