A Seductive Melody by Crista McHugh

A Seductive Melody

by Crista McHugh

711,138,814 (4)None

Losing his bandmate and best friend to an overdose is the wake-up call Ethan needs to get his act together, but staying clean is proving to be more of a challenge than he can handle by himself. So when he's paired up with a temporary NA sponsor who understands his need to fly under the radar and stay far from the paparazzi, Ethan reluctantly begins to open up to her — about his addiction and his heart.

After an overdose three years ago that fed the frenzied tabloids, Becca has done everything she can shed her spoiled heiress, party girl image, and while working at a magazine more interested in fashion and gossip than articles of substance may not be her dream journalism career, it's at least an independent step in the right direction. But when her editor expects her to sell out the man she's been sponsoring at NA, the one who's worked his way into her life and her heart, she's faced with betraying the man she loves or going back to the family who caused her to use in the first place.

The Verdict: While the subject matter is a little heavier than my normal reading preference, I couldn't very well pass up the chance to read the fifth book in a series I've very much enjoyed so far. I wasn't sure I was going to like the double addict angle, but I should have known better. Everything I've read from Crista McHugh has turned out to be wonderful, and this one was no exception.

Ethan was a nice surprise, a rock star going solo after his band fell apart and trying to curb his drug addiction at the same time. He could have been filled with rage, cold to anyone who tried to help him, and I guess on a certain level he was. But he was also determined and desperate to stay clean, and it was that hope that shined through at even his worst moments. Of course, a rich and famous guy who's good-looking to boot is bound to catch the attention of the woman designated to help him find his way back to a productive life, and he had a bit of the cocky swagger one might expect. But at the same time, his intentions were good. Sure, he was interested in getting her alone in a bedroom, but he put their friendship and recovery first, and before long, he was supporting her just as much as she was supporting him.

Becca was a rather interesting character as well, a wealthy and spoiled daughter of a hotel tycoon who fell into drugs and onto the pages of all the tabloids. But three years later, she was living with a roommate, working a rather unrewarding job, and making her weekly NA meetings. She was reaching out and helping Ethan before she even knew who he was, and that seemed to make their budding feelings so much more believable. I also love that the whole “no dating while in recovery” rule didn't get thrown in like I expected. I get that it's a very real thing, but so is the very human tendency to want to find love with someone who truly understands their struggles.

I wasn't so sure about the whole submissive thing she pulled in the bedroom, but the two didn't take it far enough to really delve into fetish territory — thank goodness! But it did show just how much thought the author puts into making every story and every character so much different than the last. That's actually one of my favorite things about the series, that even though I know I'll probably end up loving each book, I really have no idea what to expect when I turn to the first page.

A Seductive Melody echoes some of the seriousness that Breakaway Hearts had, and the plot is just as engaging, delivering the right amount of sweet and romance to counterbalance any angst, and this is one series in which every book can truly stand on its own. If you love contemporary romance, just grab the whole series and dive in anywhere. You won't be able to stop reading.

***FicCentral received this book from Tasty Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 194055988X, Paperback)

She has the scoop of a lifetime, but only if she betrays his trust…
Ethan Kelly lost his best friend and bandmate to an overdose, but staying clean is proving harder than he thought it would be. His only safety net during his first weeks of sobriety is fellow recovering addict, Becca. As she guides him through the darkness, he begins to trust her not only with his secrets, but also his heart.
After years of trying to be the daughter her socialite parents wanted her to be (and failing miserably), Rebecca Shore finally has her life on track. Sure, she’s just an assistant at Moderne magazine when she’d rather be pursuing more serious journalism, but it’s a foot in the door. She’s just waiting for the scoop of a lifetime that will take her to the next level. But when she’s asked to help the reclusive and enigmatic rock star, her heart is torn between the career she’s always wanted and the man who bares his soul to her.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 12 Jul 2015 04:40:40 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,756,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible