Midnight Heat by Cat Johnson

Strangers, secrets, seduction on a long road trip – can it lead to something more than a fling or are the secrets so big that they outweigh everything else?

Justin seems overwhelmed with the hand life dealt him. He is doing his best, or he thinks he is, but he knows that both he and his mother need something to get their lives back on track…thus the road trip for Justin. Phoenix had a stroke of luck, she hopes, when a document that arrives in the mail opens the door to secret information from a quarter of a century ago. Justin and Phoenix meet, realize they need to get to the same destination and share the journey.

Well written, full of angst, and yet…I never really connected with 100% with Justin or Phoenix. Justin is caring, can be charming and VERY Responsible. Phoenix seems career oriented, sweet and a bit scattered from time to time. I can see why they were the people they were and why there would be physical attraction but some of their story made me wonder. I have a feeling that I have not experienced what they both had so THINK I would have handled things differently but then…everyone is different so they may be like hundreds of others out there. I wondered if Kim, Phoenix’s friend, will be making a trip to Oklahoma and meeting Colter or if each of them will find their own HEA. I also wonder if Justin’s and Bonnie’s mothers will find romance before the series ends.

Happy for now books are okay but I guess I prefer a happily ever after ending. Hopefully all of the characters in this series will get that when the last book is published.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the copy to read and review.

3.5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Feb 23, 2016 |

"Justin Skaggs is on the road to anywhere--as long as it's far from home--when fate throws a kindred spirit across his path. She needs to get to Oklahoma. Phoenix Montagno can't believe her luck when she runs into the hottie from the bar. He's the key to her getting everything she's always wanted, but she can't tell him that. Luckily he's not interested in learning her story any more than he is in sharing his. Both have secrets they don't want to share...It's the perfect arrangement. No personal details. No talking at all. Just two strangers sharing the cab of a truck heading the direction they both need to go, until they decide to share a bed, too."-- back cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,760,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible