James Cook's lost world by Graeme Lay

James Cook's lost world

by Graeme Lay

411,664,912None1

As with the other two titles in this trilogy, I learned so much and found it difficult to put down. In all honesty I could not say I enjoyed this third book because there were times when the cruelty and harshness meted out by Captain Cook seemed unbelievable - it was so awful. Was it really like this I asked myself - had the fiction run away with the author?

I can't believe that Graeme Lay would let the reader or himself down by indulging in gratuitous cruelty. As Lieutenant King said so movingly when reporting back to the Lords of the Admiralty - 'he was a tyrant at times but he was our tyrant.'

Cook's achievement was amazing, as was the safe return to England by those left on the ships after Cook's death and the author has really brought that achievement into focus for readers who will not read the diaries or more academic biographies.
  louis69 | Nov 18, 2015 |

The epic conclusion to the fictional trilogy based on the life and expeditions of Captain James Cook. It seems that having discovered a new world, we have been doomed to then lose it. the year is 1775. Captain James Cook is forty-seven years old and the toast of the Admiralty, the Royal Society and the English public after his triumphant second world voyage. His wife, Elizabeth, pregnant with their sixth child, relishes the fact that her now-famous husband is home for good. He has been absent far too long. But James cannot resist the call of the sea. Offered the chance to discover a long-sought passage from the North Pacific to the North Atlantic, he accepts the challenge. Much against Elizabeth's wishes, he sets sail for the Pacific, where destiny awaits on the shores of a distant tropical island. the stunning conclusion the trilogy that began with the Secret Life of James Cook and continued with James Cook's New World.… (more)

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,683,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible