Killing Maine by Mike Bond

Killing Maine (2015)

by Mike Bond

Good book that will keep you on your toes and guessing until the end. ( )
  annmwilson09 | Aug 9, 2016 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. It is the second book in the Pono Hawkins series. I have also read (and enjoyed) the first book, but this one also stands alone well as a separate story. Both books are very well written and have great stories. The author manages to add in a lot of 'life' information into the story, so you feel like you learned something while being entertained. I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the story. Am looking forward to the next book! ( )
  booksgaloreca | Nov 22, 2015 |
Killing Maine is the second book in the Pono Hawkins series. I had mixed feelings about this book as I read it. Mostly because it felt that the author was really pushing his own political point of view. I wasn’t just his character having issues with the windmills and Democrats but his own almost hatred coming out.

Pono Hawkins is a bit of a player and ex-military. He was wrongfully convicted of crimes twice and put in jail, both times was later proven innocent and released. The man whose testimony put him away the first time is arrested for murder. Unfortunately the same man had saved his life earlier and he feels he should try and help clear him, since he knows the man is incapable of murder.

Bucky also happened to marry the woman Pono was dating when he got sent to Leavenworth. So he stays with her as his base of operations. Shortly after he starts investigating he meets and then beds the widow of the man Bucky supposedly killed. While trying to find the killer, he stumbles into all kinds of trouble and is set up for several different crimes. A lover from his teenage past, happens to be a big shot attorney and keeps getting him out of trouble, and into her bed. He also keeps working on staying out of Lexie’s bedroom, at least until Bucky is out of jail.

While I got caught up in large parts of the book and enjoyed those, the political rants were a little distracting from the story. While he seemed to be blaming all ‘liberals’ for drinking the cool-aid of ‘wind power is the future’ most of the ‘reasons’ for it being ‘really terrible’ sounded more like conspiracy theory hogwash, and not what one would expect from a war and human rights journalist.

There were certainly things that happened in the book that really should be brought to light when such things happen and educate people, especially such blatant corruption that was depicted in the book. However, there were plenty of things that seemed to not add up as likely. Of course the biggest one is the sheer number of people that would need to be involved to keep the secret conspiracy going.

If the author had stuck to telling his story I think it would have been decent though it certainly tends toward the ‘Dick Lit’ category. Even though there were many far fetched things in this book, including him being in ‘love’ with 3 beautiful, intelligent and sexy women at the same time, that is the kind of stuff you expect in these. But rants that transcend the story, without any evidence ruins it for me. ( )
  readafew | Oct 29, 2015 |
The first time I picked up Mike Bond’s Killing Maine all I really knew about the novel was that it is the second book in the author’s Pono Hawkins crime thriller series. But because I had read and enjoyed Saving Paradise (the first book in the series) so much back in 2013, I thought I knew pretty much what to expect. As it turns out, my assumptions were not even close because Killing Maine is a whole lot more than I figured on.

Killing Maine is an angry novel and Mike Bond is an angry author. Bond is not happy about a segment of the energy industry that declares itself to be environmentally friendly, but in reality destroys the environment, slaughters wildlife, and drives people from their homes wherever it leaves its dirty footprints. Let’s call it “Big Wind,” because those profiting from the construction of wind turbines to be used for the generation of electrical power are certainly full of exactly that according to Mike Bond and Pono Hawkins, the chief protagonist of Killing Maine.

Pono Hawkins is a well-known surfer, not only in Hawaii where he lives, but all over the world. As Killing Maine begins though, he is in Maine, a long way from the Hawaiian beaches he loves so dearly – and he is freezing his butt off. But Pono is a Special Forces vet, and when any other Special Forces vet needs his help, Pono is going to answer that call. And that’s why someone is shooting at him today in a remote Maine forest where he is almost as likely to freeze to death as to die from the shooter’s aim.

Like something out of The War of the Worlds, Maine has been invaded and conquered by the hundreds of gigantic wind turbines that are lined up in rows that make them appear to be marching across the clear-cut countryside. They are, in reality, spreading so fast that no homeowner in the area is free from their threat – and the turbines are so environmentally unfriendly that no human being, and very few animals, can live comfortably anywhere around them because of the irritating sound tones they almost constantly produce. Now a man who once saved Pono’s life in combat is in prison, charged with the murder of a Big Wind promoter. Pono knows that Bucky has to be innocent, so even though he really can’t stand the guy, when Bucky’s wife (a one-time lover of Pono’s) explains the situation to him, he knows he has to help. His personal honor code leaves him no choice.

Thus begins the second round of Pono’s battle to expose Big Wind for what it is. But even though he survived his first round with them in Saving Paradise, Pono is going to find it very difficult to repeat that success. And even if he does survive, chances are good that he will spend most of the rest of his life in prison because Maine’s corrupt cops and politicians are trying to hang every new felony in the state on him while he is there working to free Bucky.

Like the first book in this series, Killing Maine is quite a ride for those who love good crime thrillers. But, too, like its predecessor, it is much more than just another rousing crime thriller. This is another of Mike Bond’s environmental eye-openers that will leave readers a lot wiser about alternative energy plans, state and federal politics, and the huge profits that are being stolen from the pockets of American taxpayers by the scam artists who often surround an industry like this one. I can’t recommend this one strongly enough. ( )
  SamSattler | Oct 5, 2015 |
I received an advanced copy of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Is wind power a viable alternative energy source? Once I started reading I couldn’t put this book down. In the state of Maine the huge windmills upset people’s lives and the environment and this is all being covered up by politicians and big business who have their hands in each other’s pockets and are willing to do anything, even destroy lives, in order to continue receiving the government subsidy for wind power. I found this very disturbing. This book really made me think about the wind power farms in my area and the neighboring state. They have taken over some prime agricultural areas of both states. There are protests but the legislators are attempting to lift some restrictions on the windmills. Some dairymen have had to sell their cattle because their cows quit giving milk and because of the extremely elevated somatic cell count in the milk. This book really makes a person stop and think about the use of wind power as an alternative energy source. This is a book everyone should read. ( )
  iadam | Sep 13, 2015 |

When Special Forces vet Pono Hawkins leaves Hawaii for Maine to help his buddy Bucky Franklin beat a politically motivated murder rap, he learns that Maine is as politically currupt as Hawaii. Buying off local politicians in the process, energy corporations have laid claim to the state's beautiful mountains. Pono is hunted, shot at, betrayed, and stalked by knife-wielding assassins as he tries to find the murderer and free his buddy. With a rap sheet that includes two undeserved jail sentences, he is targeted by every cop in the state.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible