Foulsham by Edward Carey

As a consequence of events at the end of Heap House, Clod Iremonger and Lucy Pennant, the two main protagonists, begin their individual narratives separated from each other, both making their ways, in one form or another, to Foulsham; there each will encounter dangers before they are (briefly) reunited.

I really don't want to give anything else away, only to say that the plot twists and turns like the narrow Foulsham alleys. Familiarity with the events in the first volume is absolutely essential as the action follows on almost seamlessly where Heap House left off. Events take on a much darker and more sinister turn, and some of the passages make for very grim reading indeed and moments of extreme poignancy. But Clod and Lucy are such wonderful creations, brave and determined against all odds and frankly inspiring, that I repeatedly felt like cheering them on. Even more so than its predecessor, Foulsham is markedly mature for a YA read, tackling some very grown-up notions of right and wrong, courage to stand up for one's beliefs and social injustice, and Clod especially has a very wise and philosophical head on his shoulders. If I have one (small) criticism, it is that the villains appear to have no redeeming qualities at all - not that this makes them any less scary or believable. Once again the author leaves the reader at sea with a big cliff-hanger at the end of the novel, and reading the final volume in the Iremonger trilogy will now become a matter of some urgency as I need to know what happens next.

The author has incorporated many familiar elements and concepts in the storyline and yet has managed to create something that feels entirely original. As the horror quotient has been turned up from book one to such a degree that it would perturb younger readers, I would recommend this series to any readers from the age of 14+. ( )
  passion4reading | Jun 10, 2016 |
Here's the second installment of the Iremonger Trilogy. I should be receiving the third book any day now.

Now this one was more fun to read. Foulsham was much better a read than Heap House but it still could have been written much better. As I read, I kept hearing the raspy voice of a scullery maid. There was repetition and backwards talk that was annoying from time to time, but I pushed through it and liked it much better.

In book two, everything takes place in Foulsham which is a totally different place from Heap House where it's run by an Uncle Umbitt. The man's the reason for all the inanimate objects going rogue as people and people turning into inanimate objects. I can' tell too much of the story without telling the story of Heap House- and you know how I feel about spoilers! Just know this, Clod is a gold coin, being spent all over town and poor Lucy (lost amongst the heaps) is a clay button!

Check out Foulsham. If you read independent of Heap House (which I rated last week), you may find yourself lost but it still reads best! Have an amazing day. Go out and find an amazing book! ( )
  AReneeHunt | Sep 5, 2015 |
For Gus
They told me I was the only child in the whole great building, but I wasn't.
I used to think living was a safe thing to do. (Clod Iremonger, p. 218)

There's something rotten
at the heart of Foulsham, and
the filth is spreading.
(passion4reading)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible