The Codex: An Angel's Guide To Seducing A…

The Codex: An Angel's Guide To Seducing A Human

by Joe Duck

212,551,640 (2)None
Recently added byroomwithbooks, ReviewsInAPinch

Full Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts: When the author of The Codex approached me about reading the book, I thought it sounded like an interesting fantasy read that was right up my alley. I haven’t read any angel books recently, so it seemed like perfect timing to jump back into a book like that.

I made it halfway through before I just couldn’t take it anymore. I felt so bad about that, but my brain was screaming at me to stop and I was getting really frustrated with the book because of that. I want to be clear that The Codex is not a terrible book. I actually enjoyed quite a few parts. My problem was with the characters or one specific character that ruined the entire reading experience for me.

Emily. She is just so freaking mean. I loathed her for most of what I read. She did one or two things that made me start to think I’d misjudged her and then she’d revert back (worse in some cases). I couldn’t even understand the motivation behind her awful attitude and behavior. Great idea to punch the guy flying while holding you (what an idiot). However, I loved Narius. He was just too adorable, trying to figure out how humans did things and whether or not he should believe his Codex (which he shouldn’t). The Codex itself was strangely horny (can a book be horny?). Since it seemed pretty sentient, I’m going with the assumption that it’s possible.

The story was interesting. I liked the idea of Narius on a quest and Emily helping him along the way, but all of the side adventures were too forced. Certain adventures (like the city of Arehan) seemed plausible and a natural progression of the story, but others just made my brain hurt trying to skip over a less than pleasant transitions into new plot points (the Princess in the woods). I just lost patience and decided it was better to be honest with myself and DNF The Codex.

When it comes to The Codex, I think the story had a lot of promise and the writing was pretty good. It just tried to mix too many things and very quickly went down the rabbit hole of weird. The character of Emily was awful and she is without a doubt the reason I stopped reading. Perhaps it got better, but I couldn’t hang in there to find out. So I wouldn’t necessarily recommend The Codex, but I didn’t finish it so take that with a grain of salt.

For more reviews, check out http://reviewsinapinch.com/ today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Jul 10, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,832,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible