Don Rosa Life & Times Scrooge Mcduck Artist…

Don Rosa Life & Times Scrooge Mcduck Artist Edition HC VOL 01

by Don Rosa

Other authors: Randy Dahl (Designer), Scott Dunbier (Editor)

Series: Artist's Edition

411,664,912 (4.83)None

When it comes to comic books, I'm not one of those who grew up with Superman or Batman or any of the other superheroes. I didn't get comics week after week, so the serialized stories meant nothing to me. I needed a self-contained story. Therefore, my addiction was fed by the citizens of Duckburg. I read and reread the exploits of Scrooge McDuck and the Beagle Boys and the Junior Woodchucks and all the other citizens of that incredibly complex universe. The comics I had. Like many of you, would be worth a fortune today. However, unlike many of you, I can't blame my mother for throwing them out. Instead, I read them until they were threadbare and I was the one who actually gave them the appropriate Viking funeral. (Okay, not literally, but it is what they deserved.)

I had no idea that IDW was doing these magnificent publications. So, when my sister bought me this book for my 60th birthday, I was amazed.

Herein are the scanned copies of the original art from Don Rosa – blue lines, erasures, paste-overs. This is the work that was used to create the comics. Also included are storyboard scripts that reveal an extra layer to the production of these classics. All of it reproduced in the original 14" by 20" size in which they were created.

But the most important thing for me was that reading these selections threw me right back to when I was that boy reading the pages into oblivion. I was back with some of my Duckburg friends reveling in their adventures.

True, these are not those stories from the 60s – the classics done by Carl Banks. These are the work of Don Rosa who created the original in the 90s, pieced together from fragmentary comments in those original works. But they contain the heart and soul that made Banks' stories so incredible.

The book is a work of art, the stories are cleverly crafted, and the entire package is worth every penny. If you are a fan of Duckburg, this is a must have. If you are just a fan of comics, then this is still a pretty-close-to-must-have. And if you don't really like any of the above, then what the heck is your problem??? ( )
  figre | Aug 10, 2015 |
Rosa’s Eisner-award winning work on The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, told the story of the penny-pinching mallard’s early days before he made his legendary fortune.

This is a must have item for any fan of Uncle Scrooge.
added by spacewang | editSciFiPulse, Patrick Hayes (Aug 6, 2015)

Rosa, DonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dahl, RandyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunbier, ScottEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 163140301X, Hardcover)

Don Rosa is the universally acclaimed Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge creator and artistic heir to the remarkable legacy of the "Good Duck" artist, Carl Barks. Now, with the full cooperation and assistance of Rosa, IDW Publishing is proud to present the first volume of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Included in this edition will be a cover gallery and a selection of Rosa's layouts done for these stories.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 09 Aug 2015 08:00:24 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,093,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible