When We Collided by Emery Lord

When We Collided

by Emery Lord

2201252,892 (3.66)None

This was a remarkably well-written YA contemporary that focused on mental illness and grief. It could have veered into manic pixie dream girl territory, but with a name to the mania (bipolar disorder) and the life-changing circumstances working both ways, it managed to not. And the romance was good and made sense as a summer fling, not a long-lasting romance. So I didn't mind the romance much this time around, even though I wasn't too much of a fan of it.

I loved Vivi's character. You could tell the dreaminess was part of her personality and not just being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Emery Lord's picture of her was very, very clear and descriptive. I admit I imagine a lot of contemporary YA girls similar, but Vivi really stood out in the mass of contemporary YA. Jonah was less distinctive, but still fun to read about.

The author has had experience with bipolar disorder, from what I understand. It's great to hear about all these authors writing about their experiences because it raises awareness without spreading a lot of misinformation. The experience was really well-written. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
Vivian (Vivi) and Jonah meet in a summer resort community. A typical summer romance is given new life when the two principles are less-than-whole themselves. Jonah is one of 6 children; his father is dead and his mother paralyzed with depression. He works two jobs and minds the "littles" (his 3 youngest sibs) all the while protecting his mother. Vivi is bipolar; she throws away her lithium, and is ignoring (outrunning) her past. (In a manic high she sleeps with her best friend's boyfriend and acts out a party). At first J is drawn to V's energy and spontaneity but as her mania escalates he is bewildered and helpless. After a life-changing incident, she finally confesses her mood disorder and begins to face her problems. Realistic -- at times, chilling -- portrayal of mania, Vivi is deftly drawn. Jonah. for this reader, was less believable: a bit too good to be true. Nonetheless, like bees to honey, teens -- especially girls -- will be drawn to this romance/drama. ( )
  mjspear | Sep 21, 2017 |
So I came into this book biased, because I almost never enjoy books with more than one narrator. I usually find myself really enjoying one point of view and not really caring for the other. Which is what happened here, where I wanted to stay with Jonah and his family, not bounce back to Vivi.
One of my favorite parts of Lord's writing - and I love her first two books - is the sense of community. The close and fierce friendships and family bonds are missing in this one, as Jonah becomes wrapped up in Vivi. The other characters fall to the wayside and aren't developed at all.
It's still a quick and engaging read, with the lovely writing I've come to expect from Lord, but it wasn't my favorite. ( )
  colleenrec | Jun 23, 2017 |
Jonah Daniels is a seventeen-year-old who has a passion for cooking and is following in his father's footsteps. But with his father's sudden death six months ago, he has more on his plate than just black cherry cobbler. His mother has withdrawn from her family. She spends all her time in her bedroom while Jonah and his two older siblings look after their three younger siblings.

Vivi Alexander and her mother are staying in Verona Cove for the summer. Vivi is a vivacious sixteen-year-old who loves art and fashion. And Jonah Daniels. But her world is not all twinkle lights and glitter. She's been keeping something from Jonah and it takes something extreme for him to find out what it is.

The cover is lovely. The title is great. All the characters in this book were phenomenal, but I fell in love with Vivi. I loved her personality and her story. I don't have a word for the author's writing, it was soooo good! It was an honest and realistic portrayal of someone living with mental illness first-hand as well as someone living with a loved one who is suffering. You can't help but root for these two to find happiness. I loved everything about this book! ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Fiction L8664w 2016
  ebr_mills | Mar 23, 2017 |

Can seventeen-year-old Jonah save his family restaurant from ruin, his mother from her sadness, and his danger-seeking girlfriend Vivi from herself?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible