Journey to Munich by Jacqueline Winspear

Journey to Munich

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (12)

Maisie has returned home to rebuild her life. When McFarlene and Huntley approach her about an undercover, dangerous mission, she has no choice, but to agree to the terms in an attempt to save a man's life from Heir Hitler. She is horrified and appalled when she is approached by Mr. Otterburn to track down his daughter, Elaine, who Maisie is partially at fault for the deaths of James and their unborn child.

It is clear that Munich is a dangerous place, and the sooner Maisie can get out, the better... ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
I really loved this Maisie Dobbs story. I always love books centered about WW ll. This was a very interesting tale. I also enjoyed the ending loved to see Maisie open her office again and rehire her former staff. Love having the gang back together again!! ( )
  Thelmajean | Jun 1, 2017 |
Having started with Book 1 of the Maisie Dobbs series, I can honestly say that this is the first time at the very start of the book that I had chills down my spine. This is a scary book. Not to mention the cover illustration (but in a lighter tone, kudos to the illustrator for the seams on the nylons!).

After returning to England from travels thither and yon around the world, Maisie is plunged into an intrigue entirely out of her range. Or so we think. Which I did. That's what makes this book scary. We are here not dealing with rogue characters, logically thinking criminals. We are dealing with monsters. And I surely did fear for Maisie. The year is 1938; a year of invasions, of invasions to come, of Chamberlain naiveté, of high-stepping boots, of personal decisions and the reader's knowledge of what is to come.

Jacqueline Winspear is successful in presenting a Germany starting out to achieve its goal. She presents characters twisted to appear normal; situations glaring in their sadness (two little girls BFF, they think); people who already are putting defiance in place and much more.

It is a story with many confusing turns and I am amazed how well Maisie can handle them. This is a Maisie who has grown to the heights that Maurice Blanche suspected she could achieve. And because it is a scary story, I will tell you Maisie comes out of Germany only at the very end and by means which is nothing short of the angel-on-my-shoulder type of luck (provided by the author, of course).

As a lead-in to the next book in the series, we are introduced to a Mr. Scott and reintroduced to the whole kit and caboodle of family and friends back home in England. ( )
  HugoReads | May 26, 2017 |
2016, Harper Collins, Read by Orlagh Cassidy

Publisher’s Summary: adapted from Audible.com
It's early 1938 when Maisie is intercepted by Brian Huntley and Robert MacFarlane of the British Secret Service and sent to Hitler's Germany on an undercover mission. The German government has agreed to release a British subject from prison, but only if he is handed over to a family member. Because the man's wife is bedridden and his daughter has been killed in an accident, the Secret Service wants Maisie – who bears a striking resemblance to the daughter – to retrieve the man from Dachau, on the outskirts of Munich.

My Review:
Knowing the inimitable relationship Maisie had with her mentor, Dr Maurice Blanche – and knowing the confidence he had in her abilities – it is gratifying to witness her being called to serve in his place. Before Blanche died, he told Maisie she would be called upon, and so she is, in Journey to Munich. Trouble is, it is not only the British Secret Service that is interested in Maisie’s travel plans. Her nemesis, Canadian newspaper magnate John Otterburn – the man she holds responsible for James’ death – is desperate and has asked her for help. Otterburn’s selfish, spoiled, daughter, Elaine – who was to have piloted the fatal test flight James took – has deserted her husband and infant, and he believes her to be in Munich.

Winspear nails the thrill of danger and intrigue in Journey to Munich. And Orlagh Cassidy is just the one to narrate the tale. When I started the Maisie Dobbs series, this twelve installment was the last available novel, and I presumed incorrectly it would be the finale. Its ending is highly satisfying – and it surely would have worked very well as a conclusion. That said, I’m thrilled to learn that a thirteenth novel will be available in Canada in spring 2017: In This Grave Hour – I’ll be waiting! ( )
4 vote lit_chick | Dec 19, 2016 |
This is the 12th installment in the Maisie Dobbs series that, after the last disastrous novel, I had almost decided to give up. However, since I've loved this series for so lang, I decided to give it one more chance, and this installment was considerably better.

It is 1938 and Maisie, now back from Spain, has decided that she needs to reenter into life instead of perpetually mourning her dead husband, James. She begins looking for a new apartment and also reesatablishing herself as a professional detective, wen she is approached by her old pals from MI-6, Brian Huntley and Robert MacFrland to help retrieve an important member of the British scientific community who is being held by the Nazis in Germany. Additionally, her old nemesis, John Otterburn, learns of her mission and implores her to help track down his wayward daughter and to bring her home.

Against her better judgement, Maisie agrees and soon finds herself in the thick of Nazi Germany., Masie is still a prig and far too self-punishing for my taste and alo shows her usual penchant for not following orders which, I would think, would be fatal in a secret agent, but this would seem to be the path that the author has now set out for her - at least until the books come to the end of the war. There also sems to be an interesting American, Mark Scott, who is in the fledgling American intelligent services who will be playing a role in future books. He's smart & a bit of a wise as and seems to have Maisie's number. Let's hope he provides some future leavening to her otherwise buttoned-up life. ( )
  etxgardener | Dec 12, 2016 |

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wheel is come full circle, I am here.
William Shakespeare, King Lear
In Memory of

Joyce Margaret Winspear

1927-2015

Even if the whole world was throwing rocks at you, if you had your mother at your back, you'd be okay. Some deep-rooted part of you would know you were loved. That you deserved to be loved.

Jojo Moyes, One Plus One
The day was bright, the air crisp, with sunshine giving an impression of imminent spring, though as soon as a person ventured out from a warm, cocooned indoors, a nip in the chill outdoors soon found its way to fingertips and toes.

It's early 1938, and Maisie Dobbs is back in England. On a fine yet chilly morning, as she walks towards Fitzroy Square--a place of many memories--she is intercepted by Brian Huntley and Robert MacFarlane of the Secret Service. The German government has agreed to release a British subject from prison, but only if he is handed over to a family member. Because the man's wife is bedridden and his daughter has been killed in an accident, the Secret Service wants Maisie--who bears a striking resemblance to the daughter--to retrieve the man from Dachau, on the outskirts of Munich.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,617,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible