The Wilson Deception (A Fraser and Cook…

The Wilson Deception (A Fraser and Cook Mystery)

by David O. Stewart

I enjoy David O. Stewart's voice. He provides a comfortable flow to his stories with a nice balance of dialog and narrative. Where he falls short in my estimation is providing enough detail or perspective on the historical aspects of his stories. It's almost like he doesn't trust that taking the time to reveal the historical nuances of his topic will help build the story tension and propel it along.
The Wilson Deception takes place during the post-WWI Paris peace talks, and their is intrigue aplenty to be farmed for tension and thrills. Stewart touches on them only superficially to help explain the presence of the various political players. I wanted more.
The story around his primary protagonists, Dr. Jamie Fraser, and Speed and Joshua Cook is interesting, touching on the severe influenza outbreak and shabby treatment of the Negro soldier, but would have benefitted from more depth all around. While I find myself wishing more authors would trim their tomes by fifty pages or so, I would have liked Stewart to give me fifty pages more.
A good read nonetheless. This quick read is worth the time. ( )
  MugsyNoir | Oct 27, 2017 |
What a disappointment this book was ! I had just finished "Guns of August" and was half way through "The Sleepwalkers", both excellent 600+ page histories of WWl, when I happened upon "The Wilson Deception" (TWD). I thought I'd give it a try to see if it would give me a feel for post-war Paris and the Treaty negotiation and perhaps introduce me to some new interesting characters. But it was dull and listless, and that applies to the plot and to the characters, particularly our heroes, Fraser and Cook. Fraser is a medical doctor and Cook is a former catcher for a black baseball team. They worked together many years ago as told in "The Lincoln Deception" (didn't read it, certainly won't read it now). They have a rather strange relationship, one owes his life to the other, and Fraser lost money supporting Cook's defunct newspaper. But I'm not really sure they even like each other. I don't think there was a smile shared between the two of them in he whole book.....ok, maybe one. Cook is very grumpy; he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, more like a boulder, and then he finds out that his son is accused of desertion from the US Army.

So Fraser and Cook work together to get justice for the son (sonny gets a temp job as valet to President Wilson. Now, c'mon, seriously?!) It goes downhill from there; unfortunately, there's a lot of the book left. There's an "action" scene or two, and I didn't think they were particularly well written either. The author tries to introduce some pizzazz by introducing "real-life" characters, but you only come away thinking I wouldn't want any of them for a friend, or boss, or whatever.

No romance, no zest. The best writing was the very first piece - on the parade welcoming Wilson to Paris. And there's relatively little about the Spanish Flu though it wound up killing more than the War did. Read "Paris 1919", if you have interest in the subject; it's history but has more emotion than TWD ( )
  maneekuhi | Feb 4, 2016 |

Against the backdrop of the Paris Peace Conference that would remake Europe in the wake of World War I, David O. Stewart reunites Dr. Jamie Fraser and Speed Cook, protagonists of the acclaimed The Lincoln Deception, in an intriguing presidential mystery…

After four years of horror The Great War has ended, and President Woodrow Wilson’s arrival in Paris in December 1918 unites the city in ecstatic celebration. Major Jamie Fraser, an army physician who has spent ten months tending American soldiers, is among the crowd that throngs the Place de la Concorde for Wilson’s visit. As an expert on the Spanish influenza, Fraser is also called in to advise the president’s own doctor on how best to avoid the deadly disease. Despite his robust appearance, Wilson is more frail than the public realizes. And at this pivotal moment in history, with the Allied victors gathering to forge a peace treaty, the president’s health could decide the fate of nations.

While Fraser tries to determine the truth about Wilson’s maladies, he encounters a man he has not seen for twenty years. Speed Cook—ex-professional ball player and advocate for Negro rights—is desperate to save his son Joshua, an army sergeant wrongly accused of desertion. Pledging to help Cook, Fraser approaches Allen Dulles, a charming American spy who is also Wilson’s close aide. Soon Cook and Fraser’s personal quest will dovetail with the dramatic events unfolding throughout Paris, as French premier Georges Clemenceau narrowly survives an assassination attempt and peace negotiations begin to unravel. Rivalries and hidden agendas abound. At stake is not only Joshua Cook’s freedom, but the fragile treaty that may be the only way to stop Europe from plunging into another brutal war.

With a cast of vividly drawn characters that includes T.E. Lawrence, David Lloyd George, and Winston Churchill, David O. Stewart’s fast-paced novel is a riveting and expertly researched blend of history and suspense—illuminating, deftly plotted, and thoroughly satisfying.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Aug 2015 05:23:59 -0400)

After four years of horror The Great War has ended, and President Woodrow Wilson's arrival in Paris in December 1918 unites the city in ecstatic celebration. Major Jamie Fraser, an army physician who has spent ten months tending American soldiers, is among the crowd that throngs the Place de la Concorde for Wilson's visit. As an expert on the Spanish influenza, Fraser is also called in to advise the president's own doctor on how best to avoid the deadly disease. Despite his robust appearance, Wilson is more frail than the public realizes. And at this pivotal moment in history, with the Allied victors gathering to forge a peace treaty, the president's health could decide the fate of nations. While Fraser tries to determine the truth about Wilson's maladies, he encounters a man he has not seen for twenty years. Speed Cook, ex-professional ball player and advocate for Negro rights, is desperate to save his son Joshua, an army sergeant wrongly accused of desertion. Pledging to help Cook, Fraser approaches Allen Dulles, a charming American spy who is also Wilson's close aide. Soon Cook and Fraser's personal quest will dovetail with the dramatic events unfolding throughout Paris, as French premier Georges Clemenceau narrowly survives an assassination attempt and peace negotiations begin to unravel. Rivalries and hidden agendas abound. At stake is not only Joshua Cook's freedom, but the fragile treaty that may be the only way to stop Europe from plunging into another brutal war. With a cast of vividly drawn characters that includes T.E. Lawrence, David Lloyd George, and Winston Churchill.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,750,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible