The Storm Sister by Lucinda Riley

The Storm Sister

by Lucinda Riley

English (6)  German (2)  All (8)
this 2nd book wasn't quite as captivating as the first but I still loved it. great historical context and story telling. getting to know ally was a bit harder than maia but she won me over completely in the second half. can't wait to learn the other sisters tales. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
I did not know this was the second book of a series when I started reading it. I knew it was part of a series but I thought it was the first one. I’ve read several books by Ms. Riley at this point as I enjoy her mix of current and historical story lines. I will admit to enjoying the historical portions more than the modern day ones but I’m sure that doesn’t surprise any of you.

This book focuses on Ally, one of the 6 girls adopted by the mysterious Pa Salt. Not much is really known about him other than he adopted at least 6 girls, he has a heck of a lot of money and he’s dead. Beyond that only snippets are given about the patriarch of the family. Ally is an experienced sailor – she has been invited to try out for the Swiss Olympic team. But for now she is participating in a race and it’s another sailor that has caught her eye.

Ally is not looking for love yet she finds it with the enigmatic Theo. A racing captain that holds the respect of sailors and boat owners alike. They do a little dance around each other for a while but once they connect the relationship moves along very quickly. In fact, Ally is with Theo when she learns of her father’s passing. He helps her get back to the family home. There she reunites with her sisters and learns of her legacy from her father. He gives each of the girls a clue to their origins and they can decide to pursue it or not.

Ally had never had an interest in learning about her roots but life throws her even more curve balls and she decides to follow the path her father laid before her. She finds more than she ever thought she would.

I definitely enjoyed this book. It kept me interested in the story. As I mentioned above I was more interested in the historical story as opposed to Ally’s tale. The modern interactions were a little too perfect; the relationships were all breezy, happy and perfect. Theo is just hard to believe as a real person – I’m sorry but no one is that perfect. That was one major flaw for me. I also had some issues with the characters’ conversations. In many cases it was horribly stilted and this would be very distracting. But despite these issues I was quite invested in Ally’s search for her roots. I hope to follow the paths of her sisters. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Apr 22, 2016 |
It was okay- Not as great as the 1st in the series "Seven Sisters". I had too great expectations for this series. When and if the next one comes out I probably will read it but with less excitement. I don't know what it was of the story, but it just didn't grab me in and in all honesty I really disliked the narrator, would prefer the one from the 1st book. ( )
  booklovers2 | Mar 27, 2016 |
I am so excited about this series, I get to be in each of the sister's lives for a short time. The first book in the series The Seven Sister's, we learn the death of Pa Salt, the adoptive father of the six sisters. There is Maia D'Apliese, the eldest of the sisters. There there is Ally D'Apliese, the nest sister to be cover in The Storm Sister.

After the death of Pa Salt, at the reading of the will, each woman is given a letter with clues as to their heritage They know nothing of who or where their families are. Maia identity took her to Rio de Janeiro where she found closure and love.

Ally also gets her letter but really has no desire to find out who she is. She is grieving the death of her father and wants to train for the Olympics. She is a highly skilled sailor and that is her life. We meet the man of her dreams and is happy until tragedy strikes her again. To find a focus she finally decides to get on with her life and find out who she is and where she comes from. Her quest takes her to Norway. One of the clues her adoptive father gave her was a book, telling her that is where she will find the answers she is looking for.

The book is very old and is about a young woman named Anna Landvik. Anna lives in the country, wanting nothing more than to spend time with her favorite cow Rose and someday to marry and have a family of her own. A man comes into her life, he has heard that Anna has the voice of an angel and wants her to go to Leipzig Germany. There she becomes familiar with the music of Edvard Grieg and performs in a stage production of Peer Gynt, based on the work of Henrik Ibsen. She becomes very well known for her singing across Europe. She had met a fellow musician, fell in love, got married and then he decided to further his career as a composer, he left for Paris. Anna is devastated by his loss but she does continue on.

Back to Ally meets a few people on the way in her quest for her heritage, people who ultimately help her along the way. What is her connection to Anna Landvik and Jens Halverson, Anna's husband? To Edvard Grieg? That you will have to read for yourself. As an aside the name D'Apliese is an acromyn on the Seven Sisters of the Pleiades, the star cluster that is the stuff of legends.

I love this series so far, so much history and research, it even touches on events of WWII and how it impacted the Halverson family. I look forward to reading the next installment about the next sister Star D'Apliese and what her future holds. ( )
  celticlady53 | Mar 25, 2016 |
Ally D’Aplièse is the second oldest sister of six. All six sisters, named after stars in the Pleiades constellation were adopted from around the world by their beloved Pa Salt and were raised on Lake Geneva in Switzerland. Each of the sisters were encouraged to follow their dreams. Ally’s were music and boating, just like Pa Salt. Ally is out on her boat with her boyfriend Theo when she learns of Pa Salt’s death, she is devastated that she is the last to know and was not there to comfort her sisters. However, Pa Salt made it as easy on the sisters as possible including leaving clues to their true heritage, if they would like to know. After yet another loss on the ocean, Ally decides to follow Pa Salt’s clues to Norway where she discovers the story of Anna and Jens Halvorson, musicians who performed Grieg’s music in Ibsen’s ‘’Peer Gynt.”
I absolutely loved the first book of The Seven Sisters and could not wait to read Ally’s story in The Storm Sister. I would definitely recommend reading The Seven Sisters first, even though each book could be a stand-alone. When Ally arrives home after Pa Salt’s death, a few more small clues to Pa Salt were leaked. I was also very, very impressed with the continuity from the first book. Conversations and events that had to be re-hashed from the first book were done perfectly, but now from Ally’s perspective. As a huge fan of dual time stories, I enjoyed both the parts of the story with Ally in the present and Anna and Jens in 1875 Norway. However, I did feel a bigger pull towards Ally in this story even though Anna and Jens romance was captivating and dramatic, I really wanted to know what Ally was going to do with the information and if she would put all of the pieces together. Her story is one of overcoming great heartbreak, internal struggle and eventually acceptance for what life gives you. There were some parts at the end that were a little predictable; however it didn’t ruin anything for me. I will be impatiently waiting for book three which will be about the mysterious sister, Star.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Mar 20, 2016 |
The Aegean Sea

I will always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that my father had died.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,939,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible