Midnight Burning (Norse Chronicles) by…

Midnight Burning (Norse Chronicles)

by Karissa Laurel

Vikings and Norse mythology. Almost enough 'said.

Unfortunately there's a love triangle and it's one of the super annoying kind, with a self-centred ass with puppy dog eyes (Val) as one point of the triangle. The bull-in-a-china-shop kind of alpha. The other point of the triangle was Thorin - Thor's son, so we all know whose side I was on.

It's a good story; once I started I was loathe to put it down, but watching Val bluster about, trying to boss and bully Solina, got old long before the book was half-way over. Thorin wasn't much better but at least he improved, while Val just become worse.

This is book 1 and it's not meant to work as a stand-alone. There isn't a cliffhanger but there isn't any resolution either and the ending left me annoyed and feeling like another over worn trope was going to be the center of book 2. Fake death anyone?

Not sure if I'll get the next book or not; I'm invested in the characters, but I'm not sure I trust the author not to screw with them beyond my (personal) definition of reading entertainment. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 9, 2017 |
Author Karissa Laurel created a non-stop, character driven, thrill ride in Midnight Burning. Laurel mixes ancient myths and heroes with modern-day scenarios, she crafts a refreshing story-line.

Guaranteed to thrill the reader, Laurel infuses tension, actions, and mystery in this novel. With steady and smooth pacing, Laurel weaves the many plot lines together to form an intriguing paranormal mystery novel. Even though Burning Midnight contains mystery and paranormal elements, Laurel also includes humor and romance giving the reader relief from the tension and action as each chapter barrels toward the conclusion.

Concluding my mystery paranormal review of Burning Midnight, I find the characters well-developed with strong personalities. Laurel's writing style is smooth, clear, and clean. Midnight Burning was a good beginning to this series. However, it does leave something of a cliff hanger in the ending. I look forward to the next book.

MIDNIGHT BURNING RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

A suitable novel for anyone who likes a paranormal mysteries with fantasy and humor, I recommend this novel for young adults to adults.

FINALLY PLEASE NOTE:

I received this book from the author and chose to voluntarily review it with an honest mystery/paranormal novel review. Book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinion. Without a doubt, the ARC did not affect my voluntary mystery/paranormal novel review. ( )
  vera_mallard | Nov 16, 2016 |
"I inventoried my attire: one huge T-shirt bearing the logo of Thorin Adventure Outfitters. The T-shirt was the entirety of my wardrobe. Inventory concluded.
“After you help me to the couch, your mission is to find me some pants,” I said. “I don’t even want to know how I got in this state.”
“Thorin—” Skyla began, but I signaled for her to hush.
“Like I said, I don’t want to know.” "

I admit that I bought this book purely because I love the cover. Yes, I am that fickle. This isn't even a genre I normally read, and to date is probably the only paranormal urban fantasy book I have read.
What is even more surprising is that I really liked this story of a young girl travelling to Alaska to pack up the belongings of her brother who recently died under strange circumstances.
Once she arrives, Solina is drawn into the wild world that her brother was part of and decides to find out more about his death. This comes at a high cost as Solina's own life is threatened by forces beyond her expectations.
Seriously, this storyline would have had me running for the hills. In the book's own words:

"It was about as believable as a lion wearing bunny ears."

However, the story was written in such a funny and charming way that I found it really engaging - the book did not try to be literary fiction and instead embraced being a fun read:

"She unlocked a door and towed out a silver and neon-green kayak. “This is Molly.” “Your kayak has a name?”
“It’s good luck.”
“I thought that was only for ships.”
“Shhh,” Skyla said, patting her boat. “She thinks she is a ship.” "

And just when I thought the story would turn into your middle of the road werewolf legend, Midnight Burning hooked me Norse mythology that was detailed enough to make want to research further legends of the same origin. Norse mythology - who'd have thought it could work even though the setting of Alaska was a bit odd in this context?

The only disappointment I felt was the end, which was not satisfying my need for closure and obviously is supposed to open the story to a sequel. I am not a reader of series and had I known that this story was going to spill over into a sequel or series, I would have passed on reading this - the lovely cover notwithstanding.

So, 1 star taken off for a rubbish ending.

"I had put my foot down and bent three ancient heroes to my will. Thorin even condescended to make a pot of coffee. Suck on that, Wonder Woman."
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Midnight Burning is Book I of Solina Mundy’s paranormal/fantasy journey into the death of her brother, Mani.

She travels from a small town in North Carolina to Alaska and back again, seeking answers.

I love her new friend, Skylar, and think she will become a big part of Solina’s life. She’s an ex-Marine and backs down from no one.

The characters have distinct personalities and they shine through in the dialogue.

The dialogue is witty and snarky and I love it.

I love covers, especially when they foreshadow the upcoming story and this is a beauty. The eyes draw me in, looking for…

Midnight Burning by Karissa Laurel was not what I was expecting. The paranormal and myths and legends collide. It is sometimes hard to tell if their talents are a gift or a curse.

The story is predictable and there is a triangle. I would recommend the book and I am looking forward to more of Solina’s story in Book II.

To see more visit http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Jan 13, 2016 |
Four months ago, Solina Mundy never thought she'd ever leave her small North Carolina home town. She was a coward and not like her twin brother who craved adventure. No sir, no way. She was content to live in his adventures while she lived with her parents and worked at the family bakery. Then Mani was brutally murdered while he worked in a small town in Alaska. Her parents had moved on but she couldn't help but think of the strange nightmare of her brother dying and the next dad he was dead. Unlike her parents, she wanted solid answers from the police, so she swallowed her fear of flying and winged her way to uncover the truth as she feared the police knew something that wasn't in the report...........

WOW! Where has this author been, and why haven't I read her books before?? Kissa Laurel pens one terrific story that captivated me from the start and I hated to put it down! Solina meets Skla Martinez, a feisty ex-Maine and they decide to do a little investigating on their own only to get caught up with monsters that go bump in the night! Can't wait for the nextbook!! ( )
  Linda.Bass | Aug 23, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible