Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.
Parenting an Only Child: The Joys and Challenges of Raising Your One and…
References to this work on external resources.
Wikipedia in English
Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0767906292, Paperback)Is it possible to raise a contented only child? Can we be happy with only one child? The answer to both of these questions is a resounding yes.
In recent years, the number of couples choosing to have one child has risen sharply. Whether it's by choice or fate, having a single child presents unique considerations, opportunities, and advantages. Social psychologist Susan Newman, who has been studying single-child families since the 1980s, shatters the myths of the lonely, spoiled only child, and provides in-depth coverage of the critical issues including:
• Making the right family size decision for you
• Withstanding the pressure to have another
• Maintaining a balance of power in a three-member household
• Single-parenting the only child
• Setting boundaries with a child who is used to having your undivided attention
• Fostering high achievement, creativity, and independence in only children
• The effects of having parents, instead of siblings, as role models
• Confronting age-old only-child stereotypes
• Building family networks and other support systems for the future
Presenting fascinating findings and family stories, Dr. Newman shares her knowledge and gives down-to-earth advice, making this the most accessible, up-to-date handbook of its kind. For couples who are already raising an only child, or for those who are exploring the option, Parenting an Only Child offers encouraging clarity and singular insight. Now with a new resource section.
(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:47 -0400)
Looks at the advantages and disadvantages of the single-child family, and offers tips on raising an "only."