Black Blood (Black Bloods Book 1) by John…

Black Blood (Black Bloods Book 1)

by John Hennessy

Disclaimer: I was given this book for free by the author as part of the Library Thing Member Giveaway (LTMG) program for an honest review.

The story introduces us to Aberdeen Dareday aka Abby and is action packed from the beginning to the end. It starts with Abby strapped to a gurney table with two men in white lab coats trying to take blood from her. Abby instinctively knows that they are lying and plan to kill her, so she breaks free. With the help of Chris and Mrs Norwood, Abby manages to escape The Sanctuary. From there the story really begins. Not long after escaping The Sanctuary Abby meets Jasper and spends some time with him and learning about Blackthorn, who Abby knows as the Savior's. Eventually a situation occurs resulting in Abby leaving Jasper and going off with Ash and his two dogs Tye and Keira. Abby believes that Ash is someone like her a magician, though Abby hasn't learnt to use that term for her abilities. Abby learns why her blood is black and what has really been occurring and the lies that the Savior's had been telling the Endurists within The Sanctuary. Abby and Ash begin a journey to find Drake's great aunt Barbara, a witch who can help them to learn more about using their abilities. Along this journey, Abby learns the truth about the Savior's, also known as the Khahireans, and who they actually are and why they are so interested in her.

The story is full of action and adventure with many chapters ending on a cliff hanger leaving the reader want more. There's not much more that can be said without giving away spoilers, but the story continues with Abby and Ash on a journey to find Drake's aunt. Along the way they learn more about each other and Abby learns more about herself, somethings she is happy about and others leaving her wondering what the implications of that are. This story wraps up a little, but the ultimate journey that Abby and Ash are on, does not end with this book. I look forward to book #2 to find out where the journey takes them and the quest/goal that needs to be achieved. If you like Urban Fantasy, with a bit of post-apocalyptic and the very small, hard noticable, blossoming of romance then you would enjoy this book regardless of your age. ( )
  FiLoMa | Aug 19, 2017 |
A unique mix of sci-fi, urban fantasy, and post-apocalypse that will appeal to fans of YA.

What I Liked: Black Blood is a unique mix of urban fantasy, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic fiction. I think my favorite part of the book was the culture of the moonborn and the sunborn. The moonborn are shifters, called by the moon and susceptible to death by gold — a sun substance. The sunborn are sorcerers, called by the sun and susceptible to silver — a moon substance. Sorcerers have hunted and killed moonborn for years, believing they were saving their world. Then the aliens arrived…

We didn’t learn a whole lot about the aliens, or the organization structure of the werewolves or vampires, but there are hints that there will be some interesting story bits there as well.

Of course, the animals were awesome! The two enormous dogs, the raven, and the eagle were fantastic characters in the story.

What Didn’t Work For Me: Though I believe the main characters to be in their 20’s, they’ve been on their own or isolated so much that they feel younger and naive, giving the story a YA feel. And though appropriate for the age and maturation of the character, the frequent focus on adolescent sexual daydreams just wasn’t interesting to me and didn’t really seem to add anything to the story.

Having a character instinctively know things and able to do things previously unknown is always a bit problematic in terms of believeability. The author does make it part of the story that the main character, Abby, doesn’t have a clue how knowledge and skills come to her, but it takes a lot of suspension of disbelief to buy everything she can do. She seems to stay very trusting of people and creatures they encounter, even after repeated proof that no one can be trusted. I expected to see a bit more Walking Dead type paranoia, given the world they are in, but it doesn’t ever manifest.

Conclusion: The world the author has created in Black Blood is very unique and I want to learn more about it. But the book’s young, naive feel doesn’t appeal to me that strongly. It is a good read and reviews are very positive, so if the premise sounds interesting to you, I’d suggest giving it a try.

Copy provided by author/publisher in exchange for an honest review. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Sep 28, 2015 |
This is one of those books that you can't put down. The author has an amazing way of weaving a multifaceted story. Will be recommending this book and if you are even questioning this purchase just do it you won't be sorry.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via LibraryThing. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Aug 21, 2015 |
Despite the pills that Aberdeen Dareday is forced to take each day, she feels deeply. Abby works hard to suppress her emotions and fit in with all of the other humans living on the alien ship who have been saved by WWIII by the Khahireans. When her veins turn black and the Kahahireans turn on her, Abby is forced to flee the only home she has ever known. This is when Abby learns that she has been lied to her entire life. Facing reality is not easy because it means learning that not only have the Kahahireans duped humans but were creatures, sorcerers and vampires are real. Abby is force to run for her life because not only are the Kahahiereans on her trail, the other abnormas are fascinated by her strange blood. Can Abbey find a way to survive in this brave new world is save humanity from its captors?

Black Blood grabbed from the very first chapter. It's absolutely a different take on a dystopian novel and I simply love the fact that it is one of the few examples in this genre in which we don't have a White, male cisgender heterosexual saviour. Abby has to learn how to read people for the first time having had no experience with emotion and it leads to some awkward situations. She's never sure how or if she should express herself. Abby often becomes overwhelmed by her emotions but it works to her advantage because of her magic. With a single thought she can kill and set someone on fire. Though Abby is scared of what she can do she has to keep pushing forward in order to survive.

We are introduced to several supernatural creatures in Black Bloods but learn little about their society beyond their weaknesses. Were creatures for instance are instinctively drawn to silver even though it has the ability to kill them. Abby is unique amongst the abnormals because she is immune to silver sickness and gold does not bother her. I wish that Hennessy had Abbie learn to fight instead of using woo woo to have her instantly be able to defend herself and escape sticky situations. Abby is also a reader in that she can read any text in any language. Apparently, this is a rare skill but it reads as Abby pulling another magical skill out of her ass in the nick of time to save the day.

Much of the book is spent trying to figure out exactly what Abby is and when the big reveal does finally happen, it's so rushed. I feel like I didn't really get to enjoy the ending. Just about everyone Abby and her love interest Ash meet tries to kill them yet when they meet to humans despite being repeatedly told that everyone tries to kill Black Bloods, when they meet Nora and Collin things change. All Abby has to do is prove that she is a witch and say that she wants to save the word and voila, these humans invite them into their home and agree to help. Huh? Clearly, Hennessy plans to have Nora and Collin play some role in the second book in this series but it caused me to break my belief in the story. We need to be given some reason why Collin and Nora are so trusting. This makes the set up for book 2 awkward.

Because of the limitations of Abby was raised she has never had a romantic relationship. She was told repeatedly that sex is not something enjoyable. The humans in captivity feel this way because of their emotions have been shut off. Abby is unique in that she cannot wait until she can be mated. On the outside world Abby finds herself feeling sexually attracted to almost every male she meets. A simple kiss is enough for her head to spin and the word, "cock" leads to arousal. I don't mind romance in dystopian but much of what occurred felt like I was being hit over the head. Yes, a young woman still in her teen years is going to have raging hormones particularly when she is not allowed to explore her sexuality but in her interactions with Ash there was none of the shy build up which happens when people find each other attractive. Mostly it's all about Abby thinking about how attractive Ash is and that she saw him naked.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Aug 17, 2015 |
This book is an interesting combination of things that go bump in the night. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where aliens have taken over, humans are nearly extinct or morphed into a weird zombie/Nosferatu cross, and sorcerers battle vampires and werebeasts, John Hennessy creates a story that is unique in theme and captivating for any audience. ( )
  ERose207 | Aug 9, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

John Hennessy's book Black Blood was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

John Hennessy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,538,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible