An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde

An Ideal Husband (1895)

by Oscar Wilde

English (22)  Swedish (1)  All languages (23)
“I love talking about nothing, father. It is the only thing I know anything about.”

I love Wilde’s wit. This is less laugh-out-loud funny than The Importance of Being Earnest, but it has (somewhat) more substance: about what truly makes a good marriage, and how real love forgives, and not idealizes. A lighthearted, fun read. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.

Nietzsche with a buttonhole. This is a mercenary world of ennui and style. There must be a phenomenological link? Wilde notes Wealth is the new object of worship.

The interior logic of the play is a bit neat for my taste as is the means by which the husband is reprieved. Clasps on bracelets can be annoying, yet they aren't Gordian knots. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
An Ideal Husband was a very entertaining play, as all of Oscar Wilde's are. It tells the story of Robert Chiltern's nearly ruined political career. A satire that doesn't fail to be moving, the story is rife with suspense and serves as a good reflection on politics at that time, as well as the present. ( )
1 vote Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Read this then saw it performed in Stratford in the same year when times were good and I still got to go to plays at Stratford. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
A witty commentary on the double standards which politicians, and people in general, are often expected to live up to. A timeless theme, apparently! ( )
  hemlokgang | Mar 23, 2016 |

Oscar Wildeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jackson, RussellEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Frank Harris
a slight tribute
to his power and distinction
as an artist
his chivalry and nobility
as a friend
The octagon room at Sir Robert Chiltern's house in Grosvenor Square, London.
When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 048641423X, Paperback)

Wilde's scintillating drawing-room comedy revolves around a blackmail scheme that forces a married couple to reexamine their moral standards. A supporting cast of young lovers, society matrons, and a formidable femme fatale exchange sparkling repartee, keeping the action of the play at a lively pace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

A tender love story, a serpentine villainess, a glittering setting in London society and a shower of Wildean witticisms are only a few of the reasons this play has enjoyed hugely successful revivals in London and New York. This 1895 drama also seems eerily prescient, as it explores the plight of a promising young politician, desperate to hide a secret in his past. With empathy and wit, Wilde explores the pitfalls of holding public figures to higher standards than the rest of us. An L.A. Theatre Works full-cast performance featuring Rosalind Ayres as Lady Gertrude Chiltern: Jacqueline Bisset as Mrs. Cheveley; Paul Gutrecht as Vicomte de Nanjac; Martin Jarvis as Sir Robert Chiltern; Robert Machray as Phipps; Miriam Margolyes as Lady Markby; Alfred Molina as Lord Goring; Jim Norton as Lord Caversham; Yeardley Smith as Mabel Chiltern.

Legacy Library: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Oscar Wilde's legacy profile.

See Oscar Wilde's author page.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175072, 1909175099

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,504,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible