Death Before Dishonour: The Murder That…

Death Before Dishonour: The Murder That Broke Brisbane's Heart

by Alicia Bennett

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byDavros-10

From the publisher's website (www.murdertrails.com.au):

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR: The Crime That Broke Brisbane's Heart is a Murder Trails crime casebook detailing a shameful murder from Australia's largest city. In 1947 two shocking deaths divided society - the brutal slaying of a young woman whose screams terrified crowds yet went unanswered and the suicide of a deeply-respected accountant who took his life whilst serving life for a crime he swore he did not commit. Former detective and Murder Trails author ALICIA BENNETT, through careful research, rare images and material, lays bare the facts of this crime whose guilt lingers to this day.

WARNING: STRONG CONTENT

RPP: $25.00
ISBN: 978-0-9751544-6-5
EAN: 9780975154465
120 pages"

This copy is not one of the initial numbered 250 copies signed by the author, but I know Alicia so I'm going to ask her to sign this one for me. It will then go into my PC.

BTW I am somewhat amused by the sticker saying "WARNING STRONG CONTENT" sealing the book as there's nothing in it that isn't depicted in words and photos much worse in the average book about Jack The Ripper. I've discussed this with Alicia and she agrees that it's probably a marketing gimmick.

I used to work over the road from where the murder occurred and until I read the story in Bloody Brisbane, I had never heard of this murder. When I saw Alicia's book I bought it to learn more about the case, but also to get another autographed book for my collection.

The history is well researched and the photos and maps add to the reader's understanding of the facts. There is only one photo in the book (of part of the upper portion of the body showing some blood but more shockingly the ants feasting on the blood) which is slightly confrontational, but it far, far, far less shocking than the photos routinely included in, for example, a book about Jack the Ripper.

What I truly found shocking in the book were the accounts and testimony of numerous people who heard all the screams coming from the scene of the murder but did absolutely nothing to investigate it, or even report it until after the body had been found the following day.

Who says people were more concerned about their neighbours in the "good old days"? This story is an indictment of modern society and our lack, for many years, of a sense of community or family for those living and working around us. ( )
  Davros-10 | Jul 12, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,009,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible