Military Memoirs of Field Marshal The Duke…

Military Memoirs of Field Marshal The Duke of Wellington

by Error

English (7)  Spanish (2)  All (1)  All (10)
This is the 4th book in the Shelby Nichols Adventures that began with [Carrots]. The author lets her imagination fly and gets her heroine in and out of many absurd and fantastical situations for her local mob boss, while keeping her lawyer husband somewhat informed of the life and death happenings occurring around her.

I enjoyed the escapism of the story but could only rate it 3 stars not because of the fantastical elements but because the tone is anti-woman. I may pick up a later book but I think there are much better series out there that have authors with soaring, outrageous and absurd imaginations but without the underlying tone. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 13, 2017 |
I enjoy Scottoline’s writing and have read all of her books featuring attorney Bennie Rosato. This is outside of that series and with it, Scottoline has hit a home run! The development of all the various characters is excellent. There is good insight into the mind of a (non sexual) predator and a twist (well more than one) that has you guessing and makes you not want to put down the book until the end. As a bonus, you even learn a little about our government! Be prepared to read this book well into the night…… ( )
  vkmarco | Feb 26, 2017 |
This novel thoroughly irked me. Sure, it was enjoyable enough (though I can't tell exactly why) but there were so many problems I had with it.

In my personal opinion, Rema does not show the necessary skills to become queen. She is kind and beautiful, but has nothing else going for her. A main character should have the right mix of uniqueness to set them apart from the other characters while also making sure they're not overpowered and made to be wayyy better than everyone else. Rema is placed on a pedestal compared to all the other characters with no valuable traits to back it up. She should have earned the people's respect, but it was just handed to her.

The plot fairly dull and can be described as "everything revolves around Rema." Really, this series has been all about protecting Rema but it has given me no reason to want Rema to be protected. The pacing was all over the place randomly skipping weeks/days. There were also parts in the novel that just made me cringe that I had to put the book down.

We did get to see more of the side characters. But, I didn't really enjoy them that much. Savenek had the potential to be an interesting character, which he was, but that was quickly ruined. His personality did a complete flip for the worse because of sudden love for Rema. WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT SUDDEN HAREM?!

The love triangle was not necessary AT ALL. It added nothing but extra drama. All the romance in this book seemed to be handled poorly. Not only was there an unnecessary love triangle, but in the midst of a freaking WAR, characters decide to get all up close and personal with each other. WHAT. I THOUGHT WE WERE PAST THIS.

I have very mixed feelings about the ending of this book. I liked the last 10% but in the last 2% I was just really irritated. ( )
  Bibliosaurusrex | Aug 22, 2016 |
This is a really impressive debut novel. It deals with a criminal family that crosses three generations who live in the mountains of Georgia. It is told from the perspectives of many characters over the years. One member of the family takes a different route by becoming the local sheriff to the chagrin of his brothers who have linked their operation to a "big" city organization in Jacksonville, Florida. Throw in a federal agent who is trying to bring everything down. You have a wonderfully well written book that doesn't leave you lost in a pretty complicated plot. Great book! ( )
  muddyboy | Jan 4, 2016 |
Part of a series of mysteries written in the golden age of British crime novels. The book centers around a pair of brothers. It appears they are involved in a love triangle with John having an affair with William's wife. When John turns up dead William is the logical suspect. However, shortly thereafter William also turns up dead the victim of an apparent suicide. This unleashes a complex series of twists and turns that lead to a very satisfying conclusion. Detective Meredith must unravel layer after layer which he does in a very methodical way. An old style who dunnit (perhaps a bit slow for some) but I liked it. ( )
  muddyboy | Aug 23, 2015 |
This is an error and should never be combined with anything.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible