Invasion by Sean Platt

Invasion

by Sean Platt (Author), Johnny B Truant (Author)

Member:gilroy
Title:Invasion
Authors:Sean Platt (Author)
Other authors:Johnny B Truant (Author)
Info:Sterling & Stone
Collections:Read in 2018, Your library, E-Books
Rating:**1/2
Tags:science fiction, invasion, book 01, ebook

Invasion by Sean Platt

Not sure why I chose this book when I got it from Google Books. The premise looked interesting.

The start deals with the human panic due to approaching aliens. Normal, old, tired trope.

Sometimes, it's painfully obvious when a man writes a woman. Her "reactions" are really all that the man assumes a woman would say and do. Piper's desired reaction to Meyer hanging up on her is a very strong indicator I'm not going to like their personification of her. Sadly, this proved pretty true through the book. It didn't help they also wrote her step son as being attracted to her.

It felt like they missed the chance to follow a decent storyline, instead following a basic, boring family trip with some minor inconveniences. These long, endless chapters of car travel where it's mostly navel gazing aren't enjoyable to read. When something finally happens... and it's done from the wrong POV! Why are we having to experience that from 3000 miles away?!?!? Sometimes, the kid's POV brings more out of the story, but the father is just too bland a character. I'd almost call him a Mary Sue.

Thankfully, the book didn't just END, which is a good thing. The inclusive plot for the book did conclude. Then they tacked on a cliff hanger to get you to the next book. This was a meh book to me. Not really worth moving to the next book in the series. ( )
  gilroy | Dec 27, 2018 |
Fast-paced story about the days leading up to an alien invasion. I really wanted to like this book but, I just couldn't follow the "new agey" storyline. ( )
  sunnydrk | Aug 28, 2018 |
Invasion is the story of 1 family's journey to their safe house when an alien invasion is imminent.

Meyer Dempsey has made his millions in the movie industry. He has been prepping for an unknown disaster for years. Even going so far as to build a self contained underground bunker, and stock it with enough supplies to last for at least 10 years. When he hears that alien ships are approaching earth, he gets his family together. They need to get from New York to Colorado before the aliens make it to earth.

The book has very little to do with the invasion. It is mostly about the journey and difficulties they encounter.

I really enjoyed Invasion. Mr. Truant and Mr. Platt are excellent storytellers. It is a gripping tale. The characters are well developed and multi faceted. A couple of the characters ( Piper and Raj: for example) even grow and change within the short time period that the tale takes place.
I personally liked the way this book ended.

I have already begun Book 2 in the series - Contact. I can not wait to find out where Meyer, Piper, Heather, Raj, Trevor and Lila end up and what is coming their way. ( )
  pamkaye | Apr 15, 2017 |
I read a lot of this genre, and found this one somewhat new and refreshing. It is less about the overall downfall of society when the world changes, and mostly about the individuals in Meyer Dempsey's family. Meyer is rich, regularly cheats on his young wife with the brash ex-wife, and is driven to build a bunker in Vail, Colorado. As alien ships approach Earth, everyone seems compelled to drive to somewhere . . . safety? Of course there isn't much of anywhere to go that IS safe, but Meyer manages to drive his family to the bunker. He has a young wife with more grit than people realized, a teenage son who is obsessed with the step-mother, a teenage daughter who is pregnant, her whiny boyfriend who comes along, and of course the first wife has arrived at the bunker as well.

Meyer had been having visions that he now begins to understand had a specific purpose. Others begin having dreams as well. The world outside is full of crazy people..... and the story continues. ( )
  lynetterl | Sep 8, 2015 |
I would have rated it 4.5 stars except for the authors' preoccupation with parentheses. There are so many interruptions to the text with, I guess, internal thoughts, enclosed in parentheses (you know what I mean) that I found it distracting. A great shame for an otherwise well written and enjoyable story. ( )
  AussiePenMan | Jun 5, 2015 |

Platt, Seanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Truant, Johnny B.main authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,623,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible