Treasure, Darkly (Treasure Chronicles #1) by…

Treasure, Darkly (Treasure Chronicles #1)

by Jordan Elizabeth Mierek

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Clark Treasure assumed the drink he stole was absinthe, but whatever it was it has given him a new ability: to raise the dead. How convenient...

On the run, he decides to contact his father, and finds out he's the bastard son of a very rich man. As the family surprisingly easy accepts Clark's presence, he has some troubles keeping his new ability a secret and to stay out of the hands of the army, who are looking for him to create perfect (read: immortal) soldiers.

Of course this isn't all. There must be an uprising coming, check. And a forbidden romance, check. I was really looking forward to reading this as it seemed to be some kind of a mix of steampunk (which I've come to like quite a lot) and western (something I'm completely inexperienced with). And although I feel it had a lot of potential it fell short on several points for me. The story was quite predictable and the plot twists that were thrown in didn't shock me as they were quite obvious.

My biggest problem however was with the romance and the way in which the problem was resolved. I won't go into detail because I wouldn't want to spoil the book, but it was a definite eye-roll-worthy moment. Lots of eye-rolls there.

However, I might still read the next book in this series.

Treasure, Darkly is the first book in the Treasure Chronicles. The second book, Born of Treasure, is expected to be published later this year.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Review rating: 5+ Brass Glass stars!

"The day the sun dies,
"Radiance lost to the reaches of space,
"Water boiling,
"Bubbles of blood..."

This is Steampunk, never thought I would read this genre, but I loved it!

Yes, Steampunk me some more, please!

This is why I love reading, you'll always find that little gem between all the big rocks when you least expect it. This was it for me with Treasure, Darkly. This one goes under my best reads of 2016.

Clark Treasure

"Seventeen-year-old Clark Treasure assumes the drink he stole off the captain is absinthe… until the chemicals in the liquid give him the ability to awaken the dead..."

Clark has only experienced hurt and loss in his childhood. The only person he ever loved was taken from him. Now he is on the run...Fighting for survival and a letter that says he is a born Treasure, Clark sets off to the Treasure Ranch, hoping that the family will welcome him with open arms. There he meets his half-sister, Amethyst...

Amethyst Treasure

"Sixteen-year-old Amethyst Treasure loathes the idea of spending the summer away from her bustling city life to rot on her father’s ranch, but when a handsome young man shows up claiming to be her secret half-brother, her curiosity is piqued. He’s clever, street smart, and has no qualms jumping into the brawl between the Treasures and Horans. Caught in the middle, Horan kidnaps Amethyst, and all she gets is this lousy bullet through her heart.

Amethyst is a beautiful, but spoilt, sixteen-year-old girl. Upon arrival at her parents ranch, which she dreaded visiting (no night life, no proper dress shops...ugggg), she gets the surprise of her life.
There she meets her half-brother, Clark...and suddenly life became just a bit more interesting on the ranch!

My second novel by this author and I am not disappointed. Great story!

Great title & cover, brilliantly written!
Well-developed characters.

***Thank you to the author, Jordan Elizabeth Mierek, for providing me with a free copy of Treasure, Darkly (Treasure Chronicles #1) in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  marizavw | Mar 10, 2016 |
I must reveal up front that I received this eBook, the first in a series, as a free gift from the author when the second book was published last year.

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what I would think of a book that was a mix of the western, steam punk, paranormal and romance genres, especially the latter. Overall though, it was eminently enjoyable, and even the cliff-hanger ending, something which I normally deplore, really just made me want to read on.

Having said that, there are a couple of plot issues, the main one being that the main character, Clark, can bring people back from the dead by touching them, but while it is stated that he must lay hands on someone else to pass the death on, i.e. kill them, this aspect is not explored, or even shown more than once. This ability seems to me to present a moral dilemma for Clark, even if he is saving loved ones and killing in return "undesirables"/criminals/"bad" people, and it would be very interesting to explore this aspect of the story in future books in the series.

I will also admit that one of the main characters, Amethyst, is extremely unlikeable to start with, and after a life-changing (in reality a life-restoring) event, is still a spoiled brat who any sensible person would run a mile to get away from. The affair that she is carrying on with the other main character, Clark, (who everyone thinks is her half-brother), does add some very adult concepts to the plot, so I am not so sure that the target audience should be Young Adults, unless they are at the mature/older end of the spectrum.

Still, quite enjoyable, and I think the reader would find it hard not to also seek out the sequel(s). ( )
  Davros-10 | Mar 3, 2016 |
Treasure, Darkly is a compelling and well-written western steampunk novel.

Clark Treasure grew up in a Brothel with his prostitute mother. He helped her earn money by stealing from her clients when she would sing out a signal. That all changed, though, when he stole and drank what he thought was alcohol, from one of his mother’s clients. After drinking the stolen liquid, Clark finds that he can see and speak with spirits, and raise the dead. Clark becomes a wanted man. And since he doesn’t relish the thought of becoming a lab experiment, he hides. Clark seeks out the only man he thinks is rich and powerful enough to protect him, Garth Treasure, his father.

Garth Treasure welcomes Clark into his home after the initial shock of the young man turning up on his doorstep, claiming to be his son, wears off.

Clark thought that he could lay low and stay hidden on his father’s ranch. But that all went by the wayside when Clark develops a particular liking for his half-sister, Amethyst, and she for him. Amethyst’s parents are taken back when their strong-willed daughter decides to stay on the ranch instead of going back to her independent life that she loved in the city.

Amethyst is a spoiled rich girl who is not a lovable character at first. She does develop compassion for those who are less fortunate than herself and becomes a more likable person. Clark is her greatest teacher. The two siblings become close. Clark ends up sharing with Amethyst his secret after he has to raise her from the dead.

I thoroughly enjoyed Treasure, Darkly. This was the first steampunk novel that I’ve ever read, but it will not be my last. I am looking forward to book two in this series. I highly recommend reading Treasure, Darkly. It’s a steampunk novel with fantasy, mystery, and romance.

~5 out of 5 stars~ Review by Peg Glover ( )
  Peg_G | Jul 22, 2015 |

*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Clark Treasure is the 17-yr-old son of a Tarnished Silver living in the attic of the brothel/saloon where she works when he pickpockets the wrong man and his life changes forever. On the run from those who want to use him he takes refuge with a father he’s never met. To his surprise, his new family welcomes him with open arms (well, most of them), but if he thought his father’s wealth and power would now protect him he’s in for a shock. From the frying pan into the fire, Clark’s life before will come in handy now as his life takes another turn. But is it for better? Or worse?

Two years after Clark steals and drinks from a vial with what he thinks is absinthe (but oh so is not) he decides that only his father’s wealth can protect him from the Army that’s looking for him. With a supernatural ability to bring people back from the dead and then turn around and take a life, he’ll do anything to stay out of the Army’s grasp. Even if that means confronting the father he never met. Boy, is he in for some surprises. And I was, too. Clark is a great hero. Strong, honorable, conflicted and yet he doesn’t hesitate to take a life if it means his survival or the survival of the people he considers family. I love Clark. I can’t wait to read more about him. His new sister Amethyst, on the other hand…ugh. She is spoiled rotten and shallow to the point of complete uselessness. And yet there is a tiny spark of something else there. By the end of the story I’m liking her a bit more as she grows into a more well-rounded character, but she’s still not someone I’d want to hang out with. Yet. I see potential for her to be worthy of Clark. Her brother. Yeah, it’s complicated. You’ll see. The writing is wonderful and the world is vibrant, but there is a bit of a cliffhanger. Well, it’s not so much a cliff as a steep hill. I’m looking forward to book 2, Treasure Born. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jul 12, 2015 |

"Seventeen-year-old Clark Treasure assumes the drink he stole off the captain is absinthe...until the chemicals in the liquid give him the ability to awaken the dead. A great invention for creating perfect soldiers, yes, but Clark wants to live as a miner, not a slave to the army--or the deceased..." --Cover p. [4].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible