Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That…

Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency

by Bill O'Reilly

Other authors: Martin Dugard

Series: Killing (5)

Really surprised I liked this for so many reasons. Maybe it was because I lived through the 80's but as a kid, didn't really get the implication of events. Reading about history, with a retrospective lens, was eye-opening and helped me "connect the dots". I didn't realize I had gaping holes in my knowledge or understanding. I think my fondness of this book comes from those revelations, less about Reagan, Nancy or John Hinckley Jr. ( )
  HunyBadger | Jul 6, 2017 |
This book was better than I thought. I am not sure that all the representations about Reagan and particularly his health are correct. George Will was very critical of the book, particularly in regards to Reagan's mental state during the second term of his presidency. I had expected an almost saintly portrayal of Reagan by O'Reilly but that didn't happen. Reagan was human with a variety of flaws. I thought that he was overrated by his supporters and certain historians. I admit that I skimmed over the chapters related to John Hinckley. I may take a look at some of O'Reilly's other books based on my experience here. ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
Another good read from Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. ( )
  LisaDillmanWright | Oct 14, 2016 |
“Killing Reagan,” the latest in Bill O’Reilly’s “Killing” series is a formulaic, fast reading, thumbnail sketch of the title character. And to that end, it’s OK. However, it seems that O’Reilly and co-author, Martin Dugard, rather than focus on Reagan’s accomplishment, focus instead on his human frailties, foreshadowing at first; showcasing thereafter. The highlights of Reagan’s amazing life story are seemingly relegated to incidental background, reminiscent of Meryl Streep’s dystopic portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady.” It too focused on Thatcher’s mental decline, telling her story in flashbacks as seen from the torment of her dementia while her heroic leadership of the Great Britain serves as a sporadic, dimly lit backdrop. Still, Miss Streep’s accent was “spot on!” And that’s what mattered.
While reading “Killing Reagan” or watching “The Iron Lady,” one would think world events evolved in spite of their efforts, not because of them. And therein lies my major beef with O’Reilly’s take on Reagan’s life. “Killing Reagan” is, however, a good, thumbnail sketch of John Hinckley Jr.’s life and decent into madness. So kudos there.
All in all, it’s not a bad book, but one rife with the contemporary bias of “look what a smart, brave journalist I am” skulking about in the tall grass. And frankly, I’ve had about all of that I care to see. Overall grade is “two and a half stars.” Good for what it purports to be but somewhat lacking in the portrayal of a great man. ( )
  Renzomalo | Feb 1, 2016 |
About what you would expect for an O'Reilly/Dugard entry. I learned a lot about the political climate from Kennedy through the first Bush years that I hadn't known before and have a better understanding of some historical events. I don't know that the authors really answer their proposed question of whether the assassination attempt's surgery contributed to Reagan's death years later. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |

Bill O'Reillyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
God had a divine purpose in placing this land between two great oceans to be found by those who had a special love of freedom and courage.
-Ronald Regan
This book is dedicated to all those who are caring for an elderly person. You are noble.
The man with one minute to live is no longer confused.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible