Budding Reader Book Set 5: Hens by Melinda…

Budding Reader Book Set 5: Hens

by Melinda Thompson

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byMasterReadersBooks

(ARC was provided to read and review.)

The quality of the books took me by surprise and it's no wonder, it's an award-winning series. Each of the five Budding Reader Book sets comprises of 10 small books, where the first is a mere picture book without words and every following book in the set uses the same pictures and step by step more and more words are introduced.

In this set, Hens, we find in book 2 two words, look and see, and in book 3 we learn two more words and that way it continues all the way up to book 10, where the young reader is already challenged with easy complete sentences, like "The chicks are in the hen house."
The emphasis of this set lies on the pronounciation of the short "e" vowel sound and cleverly even the names of the two hens (Jen and Em) are chosen to practise it.
The vivid and cheerful illustrations are of outstanding quality, I don't think Pixar or Disney could do a better job.

I tried the books with my son (he's 4), at one of my charities with a group of children (around 6 yrs. old) with learning disabilities and at summer school with a group of adults, where the first language wasn't English. Each time the outcome was a very positive result. The learning experience turned into fun and even the most reluctant reader felt encouraged.

There are 5 sets in the series available, one for each vowel, and the BuddingReader website offers a free companion writing worksheet to go along with the books as well as a free guide for parents.

A first class concept for learning with joy and first class results. Highly recommended. ( )
  MasterReadersBooks | Jul 13, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,640,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible