The Walking Dead: Compendium Three by Robert…

The Walking Dead: Compendium Three

by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard (Illustrator), Stefano Gaudiano (Illustrator), Cliff Rathburn (Gray Tones)

Well, this compendium was certainly an interesting ride. The first half was pretty good. I'm not sure I like the way the story is progressing in the second half, but it is a fascinating new dilemma. The theme of civilization is strong. ( )
  EllsbethB | Jan 28, 2017 |
Access a version of the below that includes illustrations on my blog.

I have sort of a hate-love relationship with The Walking Dead. I don't know if it's Stockholm Syndrome, but I found this volume pretty enjoyable. Basically, my main problem with it at this point is all the boring characters. Like, huge swathes of the cast are interchangeable nobodies that I can't muster enough enthusiasm about to even tell them apart from one another. But Robert Kirkman must realize this himself, because Compendium Three sees a bunch of them get killed, and other just fade out of the narrative, leaving mostly the interesting and distinctive characters, as well as adding some good ones.

Basically, my favorites were introduced in this volume. The first is Ezekiel, ruler of a community called "The Kingdom," a guy who has set himself up as a king and has a pet tiger and knights who ride around on horses. He adds a splash of color to this usually subdued and grim series, and it is amazing every second of it. Kirkman backs off on this as the volume goes, though, unfortunately, and Ezekiel becomes more "normal." Second there's Negan. Now, Negan might be an awful person (he totally is), but he's hugely entertaining because he's entertained. He seems to treat this whole postapocalyptic survival thing as a personal lark, and he finds everything funny, and I found that funny. The Governor irked me to no end, but Negan is amazing. Mostly I think it's the cursing.

Do you know who's not amazing? Rick Grimes. There's a part of this book where everyone's like, "Rick Grimes will save us!" and I like, "Why would you think that?" Whenever Rick has a plan, it's a terrible plan. Yet he's the leader, I guess because everyone knows he's the main character. I can't decide if this is Kirkman's commentary on a certain type of straight white cismale, or if Kirkman's just bad at writing Rick as a good leader.

The story seems to be shifting, from one of sheer survival to one about rebuilding, though the ending promises some wrinkles in that. This has potential, though so far, it's pretty un-nuanced: whenever someone disagrees with Rick or Maggie's decisions, Kirkman writes them as sniveling, evil idiots. It'd be nice to see how the new society emerging here handles disagreements between reasonable people.
  Stevil2001 | Apr 1, 2016 |
Holy Moses what a ride ! Two favorites die, new characters change the game, the action never stops, the illustrations were fabulously disgusting where they should be, and the drama was .just right. Beware the whisperers ! Need more, NEED ( )
  TheYodamom | Feb 15, 2016 |
The Walking Dead's third Compendium is filled with a lot of interesting arcs. I did enjoy most of them. There were a few areas that I thought were a little soft and hard to believe. Overall, Kirkman and company continue to churn out quality stuff. This is a series that I always look forward to reading. ( )
  VungTauMantis | Jan 24, 2016 |
Alternate universe Walking Dead.

During The Walking Dead TV-series Season 6 hiatus I decided to pick up Compendium 3 of the Comic-series which was also recently published. It conveniently collects Comics #97 to #144 which were otherwise published monthly over 4 years.
The TV and the Comic exist in different universes but there are many characters in common and the overall direction is similar i.e. both series have progressed to larger communities or tribes which conflict or unite with each other. So, mild spoiler warning, if you want to get some hints of where the TV-series may go in the second half of Season 6 and further then the Comic is already well into the Negan & The Saviours plotline. However, don’t look for all of the same characters to be around. Compendium 3 is quite compelling and builds to a horrific ending where a whole other enemy is introduced. ( )
  alanteder | Jan 15, 2016 |

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adlard, CharlieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaudiano, StefanoIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, CliffGray Tonesmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

The Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 5 by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Book Nine by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead, Volume 17: Something to Fear by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #100 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #101 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

The Walking Dead #102 by Robert Kirkman (indirect)

"An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months society has crumbled-- no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living"--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible