Archangel by Sharon Shinn
Recently added byJLStanfield, skullduggery, shana04, rachellimalopes, TXMagpie, private library, Eyrinnia
    The Sharing Knife: Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold (hoddybook)
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: They both have a fascinating fantasy world setting with some parallels (weyrs/dragons vs aeries/angels) and important traditions that have been forgotten and must be renewed. They also both have a duty-driven hero, a strong, resourceful heroine who begins the story as a servant but was not born to that life. Even the nature of the romance, which is something like "arranged" is similar between the stories.… (more)
    Courtship Rite by Donald Kingsbury (MyriadBooks)
    Local Custom by Sharon Lee (hoddybook)
    Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen (FFortuna)
    The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Romance in a pre-industrial fantasy setting. Interesting world-building. Power-plays, good-guys - bad-guys. Hints of science fiction underpinning the fantasy.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (crazybatcow)

Intriguing mention of spaceship as the god of this planet. I wonder where that will go in subsequent books ( )
  Kali.Lightfoot | Jan 10, 2014 |
I liked this book, a lot more than I thought I would. The world of Samaria was fully imagined and the characters were dynamic. Although there is a religious element/biblical references in it, I find that it doesn't take away from the book at all and I usually very much mind biblical references. I loved the music elements. All in all a solid read.

Unless you hate fantasy. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
A rec from a friend as One of Her Favorite Books With Music In It Ever
(as a swap upon/birthday sort of thing for gifting her/making her read Gayle Foreman's If I Stay and Where She Went)

I did not expect to love this book so much. (Which we've both said.) I was giggling in high heaven at Gabriel within the first two chapters and sending text updates about my reading the whole way, which I'm sure amused her. The music is covered gorgeously, but this book about a certain set of people, the world around them, it's fragile or unbreakable faith, and the groups of people which make up that land, and it managed to balance and weaves these all together in unexpected ways I deeply appreciated.

Gabriel and Rachel of course steal the show in all the ways that matter, Two amazing hard-headed, stubborn, amazingly deeply feeling and quickly acting people, who actually have massive morals and deceptive choices based on invisible, unknown, histories. And how they weave into the very first tales of the Archangel and the Angelica. And how the ending is truly just perfect for these characters, and made my heart so happy. The ending alone deserves a five. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
Turns out I had read a short story that takes place in this world, so the ending was pretty much spoiled--but it was still a good journey to get there. I'm not a fan of man/woman power games and deliberate humbling of people just because you can do it, so not my favorite from this author. I did, however, like the world in general (and really enjoyed that other short story!). ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Cheesy but entertaining. Might help to be a minister's daughter and therefore be predisposed to weird angel stories. ( )
  paperloverevolution | Mar 30, 2013 |
For my aunt, Mary Krewson
The angel Gabriel went to the oracle on Mount Sinai, looking for a wife.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441004326, Mass Market Paperback)

Set in a society founded as an egalitarian utopia but now tainted with vices and inequity, Sharon Shinn's love story is plotty and calamitous. Rachel and Gabriel have nothing in common beyond wishing that the god Jovah had ordained they wed other people, yet they must cooperate in singing a mass to the god on the occasion of Gabriel's elevation to Archangel. Upright Gabriel has enemies among both mortal and angelic peoples who prefer to risk world destruction over his restoration of the old order.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

Story about love, magic and honor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible