Reckoning: A Memoir by Magda Szubanski

Reckoning: A Memoir

by Magda Szubanski

Despite her struggles, this was a really great read. Was surprised by much of what I read and its given me a lot to think about, courage, depression, PTSD and the reluctance to come out. It was also a lot of fun, and I particularly enjoyed reading about Magda finding her stride in comedy, television and movies - now as a writer. Hope she writes more! ( )
  tandah | Feb 13, 2017 |
Magda tells the story of the varous influences on her identity including her coming out as gay and coming to terms with her father's role in WW2 in Poland. Really enjoyed her description of her time at Melbourne University and her family dynamics growing up. Did seem a bit repetitive at the end but well worth reading. Deals with identity and family influences. ( )
  SarahStenhouse | Nov 14, 2016 |
Very engaging read. Magda Szubanski bravely exposes her darkest moments and the family life and background that has shaped who she is. ( )
  MelbourneSharonB | Nov 1, 2016 |
this book was so much more than I expected. I thought it would be about Magda coming to grips with bieng gay but it was so much more than that. The thing that resonated the most was her relationship with her father and how the terrible events in Poland during the war ( where he was a resistance fighter who killed for guns at the age of 15) shaped him and then shaped Magda herself. From the domineering push to succeed at tennis, to forget and make a new life in Croydon in the 1950s., to Magda's journeys back to Poland to connect with the family and make sense of her father. This is a fascinating story.
It resonated a lot with me as she grew up in the same Eastern suburbs of Melbourne as I did and talks about many of the places that I grew up with also. Although she is 8 years older than me, I could relate to her childhood and the opinions of the times when she was growing up. The most heart breaking part is the fact that she hid that she was gay from her parents for so long because she was afraid they would disown her. Some of the laws she talks about in Victoria in the 1980s are terrible and I am so glad that my children live in an age of tolerance and acceptance. Truly riveting, I read this book in one day! ( )
  nicsreads | May 8, 2016 |
I read this book in about one day and found it excellent. Magda Szubanski is not just a little funny woman, she's a great writer who creates much thought in the reader as to how we are shaped by our parents experiences. In her case the trauma that her father endured as a teenager in war-torn Poland has a lasting effect on his children. In her case it has taken her many years and much soul searching to come to this realisation that her father was trying to protect her and "toughen her up". The beautiful thing about the book is that her understanding and love for her father shines through. I particularly liked her account of her travels to uncover her family history as I had seen her on the programme "Who do you think you are?", but in the book she tells us so much more. This is definitely a book that I will read again. ( )
  lesleynicol | Jan 11, 2016 |
Inscribed on the back of a photo of
my father, addressed to my mother
'Remembrance ... is all I ask.
But if it be a task ...
... forget.
To Margaret from Peter,
London 4th of Febr. 1947
If you had met my father you would never, not for an instant, have thought he was an assassin.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible