Twisted by Andrew E. Kaufman

A chance to crawl inside the mind & body of a schizophrenic and a masterfully written psychological thriller. Andrew E. Kaufman is amazing in his ability to delve into worlds unimagined by most of us. Once I started I couldn't put it down until it all unraveled. And unravel it does in such an amazing way. Kudos to Mr. Kaufman and I can't wait for his next novel! ( )
  roomwithbooks | Aug 31, 2015 |
This was quite a different read for me. It is told through the eyes of Christopher, a psychologist working at a mental hospital who has a family history of schizophrenia and fears he will go down that path. He has an understanding wife, and a son - Devon - whom he idolizes.

His life begins to unravel, and he has periods of confusion that seem to be lapses in time. He is dealing with a frightening psychopath, and has an accident that may have impacted his mental health. Things go from bad to worse.

The ending was satisfying to me, as it explained a lot about what seemed to be happening to him. I did wish there was a bit more story at the end, it seemed to wrap up rather quickly, but that might just be because I didn't want the characters to go away.

I look forward to more from this author. ( )
  lynetterl | May 5, 2015 |
Wow, that is just about all I can say about this book, is wow! Totally engaging and unexpected and I kept waiting for it to end completely badly, but that was a surprise as well. I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Debra_Burge | Apr 24, 2015 |
5 Stars
I received this galley from netgalley

If you have come this far you have already seen a synopsis, so I won't bore you with mine.
I have been a fan of the author's for a few years now; ever since I read While the Savage Sleeps. He writes the kind of fiction I have loved since I was a kid. This novel is proof of why I will always read his work. It is one of the best psychological thrillers I have read in awhile. I have no complaints at all.
I am one of those readers who tends to figure things out quickly. That can ruin a story for me, but this author adds enough twists and turns that I was questioning myself a lot. There were parts I could relate to personally, which made the story seem more alive and engrossing. It's obvious that the author researched this subject well. This novel is a page turner, and you'll want to talk about it while you're reading it. I have already recommended this, and will repeatedly recommend this author. ( )
  shayrp76 | Apr 6, 2015 |
Dr. Christopher Kellan is a psychologist at the Loveland Psychiatric Hospital, working with some of the most deranged psychotics institutionalized. The book starts out with Christopher entering the cell of transferred patient and suspect, Donny Ray Smith. He has 5 days to interview Donny Ray and make his professional judgment: is it possible Donny Ray wasn’t in his right mind when he killed a 6-year-old girl (and probably 9 more children, though no bodies have been found). Things in Christopher’s life start to spiral out of control from the first meeting with Donny Ray. Looking into the killer’s eyes, Christopher has the feeling he knows him from somewhere. Christopher’s life begins to unravel day by day and it’s hard for him to know what’s real and what’s not.

As a reader, you get to travel down this road of insanity with Christopher. You don’t know if what you’re reading is real or not as strange things keep happening around the doctor, in both his personal and private lives. Each page builds up the suspense in the story, and you don’t want to put the book down because it never stops. It’s unbelievable suspense throughout the entire book that builds and builds until you almost can’t take it anymore and then the ending slams into your face, leaving you spinning.

I loved this book. I couldn’t imagine how it would end when all along the author kept throwing in more and more curves. When I did get to the end, it left me speechless and in a daze. Kaufman’s books have all been good, but this is his best yet. ( )
  Mary.Endersbe | Apr 3, 2015 |

Dr. Christopher Kellan spends his days at Loveland Psychiatric Hospital, overseeing a unit known as Alpha Twelve, home to the most deranged and psychotic killers imaginable. His newest patient, Donny Ray Smith, is accused of murdering ten young girls and making their bodies disappear. But during his first encounter with Donny, Christopher finds something else unsettling: the man looks familiar.… (more)

Andrew E. Kaufman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,693,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible