Forsaken by S.J. Harper
721,138,814 (4.33)None

Emma and Zack’s relationship is fraught – Demeter’s interference has left Emma reeling and Zack angry with a terrible case of magical amnesia

But all of that has to be put aside when a multi-billionaire’s son is kidnapped and his babysitter murdered possibly due to an extreme act of revenge or just simple greed? Answers that can only be found by being professional, putting their issues aside – and going undercover in a sex club

As a book reviewer, there’s a repeat problem I have when reviewing a series I like. How do you say “I love this book for all the reason I loved all the previous books in the series” without sounding repetitive or lacklustre? It’s hard to make it clear that the elements that you love about a series are still making these books ones you really love to read without sounding like it’s stalled or run out of ideas

This is a short story in the Fallen Siren Series and, yes, it contains many of the elements that have made this one of my favourites:

We have a police investigation that is interesting, tense, exciting and relies as much and more on actual investigative skills as it does on magic (now I do love magic heavy series but I also prefer my investigative protagonists to actually have skill rather than deus ex machinae powers that are so often used as an easy way to solve the mystery without a coherent plot).

We have characters who have a romance – but put it aside. Again, in a genre where all too often characters have sex at inappropriate times, especially a character whose woo-woo is sex based, it is refreshing to see characters that have such a good sense of priorities. In this story there could be no alternative - you cannot have people in charge of finding kidnapped children be distracted by sexy times. But this also reflects not just in the romance but also the other character developments between them.

Over the course of the books, Zach and Emma have had a fraught history. Her curse, her justifiable fear of love and the constant threat of Demeter has made their relationship difficult and have left them with a lot of issues and rifts between them. And, as professionals, as capable dedicated adults, they are quite capable of putting aside all this emotional drama to focus on the essential task at hand. I really appreciate that.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Aug 17, 2015 |
Novella length continuation of the A Fallen Siren series that follows FBI Special Agent Emma Monroe, a siren who for thousands of years now is attempting to atone to the goddess Demeter for not being able to prevent Persephone from being taken into Hades. Since then she must keep finding lost or kidnapped children, hoping each time this will be the one that pays off the perceived debt. Her current FBI partner is Zack Armstrong who is also a werewolf. She can’t have anything resembling a relationship without the goddess killing off her lover and she and Zack are very drawn to the other.

They are called in for a kidnapping case in New York by a very rich and influential man when his son is kidnapped from the house during a fundraising event.

Emma and Zack are meant to be together and I hope by the end of the series they can find a way to make that happen. Right now the feelings aren’t too good as each is mad or hurt by the other as she does her best to keep him alive by not letting the relationship go any farther. The case itself is interesting, especially as Emma goes undercover. And I found myself getting somewhat teary-eyed at one point.

Together this duo has pulled together a really good series. When is the next book? ( )
  dearheart | Jul 14, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,084,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible