Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

Sleeping Giants

by Sylvain Neuvel

English (97)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (99)
Fun book to read. Almost all is dialogue however. I also read the second in the trilogy- Waking Gods, but eventually grew bored and have no interest in finishing by reading the third book.They are more like comic books or junk food- good for a little while but all empty calories. ( )
  keithostertag | Aug 17, 2018 |
There is a fascinating conceit at the center of this story, where pieces of giant robots are found buried in obscure locations around the world, and appear to have been there for millenia. The efforts made to find missing pieces and fit them together and make the technology work again are fascinating, but I'm afraid I found the human characters paper thin, and sometimes incomprehensible. Perhaps this was a result of the way this novel was written, as a series of interview transcripts. I think that served to distance me, the reader, from all of the characters, and left me impatient with them when certain turns of the plot required utter stupidity on somebody's part. I might expect that in a teenage slasher movie, but not in a storyline revolving around the recruitment of the most capable folks they can find to work on unraveling this mystery. ( )
  pat_macewen | Jul 27, 2018 |
Very enjoyable quick read from Quebec new author Neuvel. Same style as WW Z with most of the book as either personal journal entries or interview notes. Really looking forward getting my hands on the next 2 books! ( )
  Guide2 | Jul 25, 2018 |
Superb. Unusual but works very well. Told through an unknown narrator - "'I'm not in the military you don't have to call me sir' 'What would you like me to call you, sir?' 'On second thoughts, sir will do fine'." - as a series of file reports from interviews with the main protagonists and a few assorted others, some of which are also not named, which is only slightly confusing.

Rose Franklin is a child who fell into a hole that contained a giant hand, and subsequently became a scientist and believes it to be coincidence that she's now lead project manager to understand what and how this artifact is - brought in as last resort once the military had decided it was essentially useless. She's kind and decent, and care about her small team. Kara Resnik is a helicopter pilot in the US army, drafted into this strange operation as an opportunity to fly again after being grounded with a minor medical condition, she's sharp and doesn't take fools lightly. She has a new 2nd officer, Ryan Mitchell, pretty laidback and happy to get along with everything, and no particular qualms about being 2nd seat. Finally they recruit a linguist a cocky Canadian student Vincent Couture, who's task is to bring a fresh insight into the symbols found on the artifact.

You can guess some of the rest quite easily, a breakthrough, interpersonal tensions, etc. But some of it is truly novel and I won't spoil the surprises by detailing them. It is always nice to have hero who is actually intelligent and thinks ahead properly.

The only real downside I find is a somewhat UScentric outlook, everything revolves around the assumption of US power in the world. The interviews are just occasionally confusing where the paragraphing between characters becomes unclear however for the most part there is a very clear question and answer pattern and easy to follow. Given the nature of the writing style chosen the timeline jumps forward from incident to incident as detailed in the files. But it remains very comprehensible, and the brief descriptions powerfully convey sufficient action to keep it interesting throughout - much more than might be expected from an interview report. ( )
1 vote reading_fox | Jul 24, 2018 |
The format is a series of files which are for the most part each a dialog between a mysterious character and many other characters. I normally find this style of writing hard to follow, but this story retains a flow from one file to the next. Character development is very good with this interesting way of the reader gaining insight about each character and their relationship with others. The intrigue never lets up. The dialog is excellent--probably what I enjoyed most of all. I'm curious to see if the author can keep this quality in the next book in the series. I aim to find out. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
A Théodore.
Maintenant, on va t'appendre
à lire... et l'anglais
It was my eleventh birthday.

A girl named Rose is riding her new bike near her home in Deadwood, South Dakota, when she falls through the earth. She wakes up at the bottom of a square hole, its walls glowing with intricate carvings. But the firemen who come to save her peer down upon something even stranger: a little girl in the palm of a giant metal hand.

Seventeen years later, the mystery of the bizarre artifact remains unsolved—its origins, architects, and purpose unknown. Its carbon dating defies belief; military reports are redacted; theories are floated, then rejected.

But some can never stop searching for answers.

Rose Franklin is now a highly trained physicist leading a top secret team to crack the hand’s code. And along with her colleagues, she is being interviewed by a nameless interrogator whose power and purview are as enigmatic as the provenance of the relic. What’s clear is that Rose and her compatriots are on the edge of unraveling history’s most perplexing discovery—and figuring out what it portends for humanity. But once the pieces of the puzzle are in place, will the result prove to be an instrument of lasting peace or a weapon of mass destruction?
big underground hand / made of luminous metal / part of something big? (tomzorz)

"17 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. Today: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. A swift and spellbinding tale told almost exclusively through transcriptions of interviews conducted by a mysterious and unnamed character, this is a unique debut that describes a hunt for truth, power, and giant body parts"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible