Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files) by…

Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files) (edition 2016)

by Sylvain Neuvel (Author)

Member:ackck
Title:Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)
Authors:Sylvain Neuvel (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2016), 296 pages

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

English (111)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (114)
In Sleeping Giants, large pieces of what appear to be a giant robot are being discovered all over the world. The pieces seem to be thousands of years old, a time when no known human civilization would have the technology need to build them. The story is told through a series of interviews and reports by the people working to find all the pieces and find the answers to what the robot is, where it came from, and what is its purpose. I enjoyed this book alot. I was impressed at how successful the author was developing the characters given the format. Because it is interviews there is a lot of tell rather than show, but that worked in this case. I had no problem connecting to the characters and feeling invested in what was happening to them. The mystery of the robot is interesting, but even more interesting to me was how the people and governments reacted to the discovery and the potential implications. This is the first in a series and I will definitely add the next to my wishlist. ( )
  Cora-R | May 20, 2019 |
By my definition this book is not science fiction, it's a romance dressed up with a little sci fi and adventure.

I didn’t realize it at first though. I really liked the structure, which tells a linear story through official reports and personal journal entries written by the project members, as well interviews with them and other government officials, conducted by an unnamed, quasi-governmental, amoral, clever operative who will do anything to keep the project going. The plot isn’t mind-blowing but still plenty interesting, and it reads very fast. I hung in there for 60% of the book, but was finally done in by a cast of characters straight out of a Romance Adventure: a brilliant loner scientist, a brilliant, wild, rogue pilot, a less brilliant but good-looking co-pilot, and a brilliant but less good-looking grad student linguist - these last two vying for the attentions of the brilliant, wild rogue pilot, who, of course, is hard lovin’, hard livin’ and has a fantastic bod. (Apparently the only not-brilliant one at this party is me.) The fact that the brill scientist and brill rogue pilot were women does not make this story feminist or girl power-ist, it’s just romantic fantasy, 21st century style. I'm not committed enough to finish the book, but I like the plot well enough to hunt for spoilers in other reader comments.. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Holy Molly was this book amazing!!!

I LOVED the idea, the plot, the characters, the way the story is told, basically everything!

The story was so intriguing and interesting and it caught my attention from the very first file!
The idea of a giant hand that was discovered years prior by a little girl who fell in it, then that same girl growing up to become the scientist who starts the search for the rest of the body parts was brilliant!

And that epilogue! Oh dear lord that epilogue!
I have to start the next book right away because I NEED to know what happens next! ( )
  Ray_ | Feb 18, 2019 |
Political intrigue, an alien mecha that nobody knows anything about, and a series of secret files makes for one of the best reads. The entire story is told using a series of files - interviews, notes, newspaper clippings, etc - concerning the secretive interviewer who knows more than he's letting on, the motley crew of a research scientist, an Air Force pilot, and a Canadian linguist battle against the governments of the world, an almost war in N Korea, and themselves.

The book is very strong throughout, and has a very satisfying ending that leaves room for a sequel. The only downside to the use of interviews as the storytelling device is that it gets a little conflicted and strained at certain points - points that would have been better done using a traditional storytelling style. However, the lack of "cruft", so to speak, means that the dialogue is realistic, humorous, and above all well-done. Neuvel really does a good job with letting his characters show through their dialogue.

I'm looking forward to reading the second and third books! ( )
  yassie_j | Feb 11, 2019 |
I can't write a full review of this yet but... THE ENDING. I need the next book NOW. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
A Théodore.
Maintenant, on va t'appendre
à lire... et l'anglais
It was my eleventh birthday.

A girl named Rose is riding her new bike near her home in Deadwood, South Dakota, when she falls through the earth. She wakes up at the bottom of a square hole, its walls glowing with intricate carvings. But the firemen who come to save her peer down upon something even stranger: a little girl in the palm of a giant metal hand.

Seventeen years later, the mystery of the bizarre artifact remains unsolved—its origins, architects, and purpose unknown. Its carbon dating defies belief; military reports are redacted; theories are floated, then rejected.

But some can never stop searching for answers.

Rose Franklin is now a highly trained physicist leading a top secret team to crack the hand’s code. And along with her colleagues, she is being interviewed by a nameless interrogator whose power and purview are as enigmatic as the provenance of the relic. What’s clear is that Rose and her compatriots are on the edge of unraveling history’s most perplexing discovery—and figuring out what it portends for humanity. But once the pieces of the puzzle are in place, will the result prove to be an instrument of lasting peace or a weapon of mass destruction?
big underground hand / made of luminous metal / part of something big? (tomzorz)

"17 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. Today: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. A swift and spellbinding tale told almost exclusively through transcriptions of interviews conducted by a mysterious and unnamed character, this is a unique debut that describes a hunt for truth, power, and giant body parts"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,817,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible