Because of Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn

Because of Miss Bridgerton

by Julia Quinn

Series: Rokesbys (1)

Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child, the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday.

Billie Bridgerton has always been expected to fall in love with one of the Rokjesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors and friends for centuries and the tomboy Billie has always been close to Edward and Andrew and someday one of the would make a perfect husband. The only on of the brothers that wouldn't make a good husband is the older brother George. He and Billie have always had a strained relationship. That is until fate steps in...

I was kind of desperate the other day for a change in genre. I had read so many crime novels in a row that I just couldn't face reading another one and guess what? This book showed up in the mail. I was literally going locking my door going down the stairs thinking I need something else to read and this book was in my mailbox. Like magic. Or perhaps thanks to the publisher and the mailman (and some magic)

Anyway, I devoured this book in a single day, most actually during one sitting. Which is odd since it's a romance book and the one genre I read very little of. But, I guess it was what I needed at the time. The book wasn't perfect, but it was damn funny and easy to read. The only part where I felt the pace slowing a bit down was during George and Billies stay in London, but it was the typical part of the book when the both have realized that they love each other but haven't confessed it to each other. The love dance, or the mating ritual part of the book. For some reason, I always get a bit annoyed with having to read about two people clearly in love but unable to express it other than being jealous.

But, all and all, the book was good. I loved the intro with Billie stuck on a roof and having George rescue her and the Pall Mall game with some guests as also fun. The book also took a more serious tone towards the middle of the book when George's family got some bad news. I like the mix of romance, comedy and drama in books and it worked fine in this book.

So if this book can make even a non-reader of romance happy, then I guess the ones that usually reads romance will love this book!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This book has a special place in my heart.
When I'm down in the dumps, I re-read this one.
  odetteoswald | Dec 10, 2017 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

A friend recommended this novel, and it looked good. I’m happy to report I was not disappointed.

The story begins in a comedic moment, and not the only one, where the two main characters are very much at odds. There is lovely repartee between Billie and George from the start, and it serves to ground the reader in a long-standing relationship between their two families.

Billie is a wonderful character both because of and despite her flaws. She knows she’s not perfect, and she is quick to lay the blame for events she’s been instrumental in on others’ shoulders. At the same time, she’s not the wild brat everyone seems to have decided is her role to play. Instead, she’s taken on traditionally male tasks to keep her beloved Aubrey Hall thriving while her younger brother grows up enough to take on the mantle of heir.

Do not be mistaken. This is a humorous romance, but at the same time, it takes on the gender politics of the era (late 1700s), and not just in the case of Billie. The responsibilities and opportunities offered young men of quality and how birth order determines their futures also plays a part.

The story is strongly seeped in the events of the period, being set during the American war of independence. It’s a little odd (as an American) seeing the war from the opposite side, but the focus is on how war affects the families left behind more than a debate of who was in the right or wrong.

I liked the way the small picture (crops and daily life) is mixed in with the bigger issues of sons going off to war when there is little to no news reaching home (and a delay of weeks if not months for the news that does). The plot was a very personal one, and at times, the greater picture seemed shoehorned in, but the effect was still that of a strong, getting-to-know-yourself story for both main characters.

Billie and George came to understand their own motivations at the same time as recognizing how their feelings for each other had transformed from annoyance to love. And the intervention of the mothers is precious (I’ll say no more to avoid spoilers).

There are explicit moments toward the end, so I wouldn’t classify this as a clean romance, but it had that feel in how it focuses on the characters growing into their new feelings even when their worlds are being torn apart. I enjoyed the time spent with these characters and feel it was well worth the read. ( )
  MarFisk | Oct 16, 2017 |
This may be one of my favorite Julia Quinn novels. Definitely top three. Although, I suddenly feel the need to go back and re-read them all to make sure.

It has everything I've discovered I love about her writing. Above all, witty dialogue! There's a sense that it isn't just a Regency romance novel, it's a Regency RomCom. The banter between characters cracks me up and adds to the great romantic tension.

In this novel, the heroine, Billie, is an unconventional young lady. It was refreshing to follow a Regency heroine who wasn't overly obsessed about the season and husband hunting. Meanwhile, George is the uppity brother of Billie's best friends and neighbors. I don't normally jump for hate-turned-to-love plots, but this one worked out very naturally.

There's also the delightful sense of Regency community and family. Nosey somewhat meddling mommas. Best friend aka why-won't-you-just-be-my-sister-in-law-already? One brother who just wants to stack cards. Another brother who's fighting for King and country.

Ooo, that ending left me hanging! How much longer until the next book??? I have the feeling the setting will be very interesting. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
Billie Bridgerton, it has been assumed, will marry one of the Rokesby brothers, they've grown up with each other and it's only logical that she would marry one. But not George, she finds him insufferable and he finds her annoying. Then they're thrown together and they find that there's an attraction, but can they tolerate each other?

Entertaining and funny, enjoyed the read and the realisations by the characters that there was an attraction there. I adored the game of Pell Mell (apparently an early precursor to Croquet) and the reactions to a variety of comments, it was an interesting bonding moment with several of the characters. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 8, 2017 |
For Susan Cotter
You amaze me every day.

And also for Paul.
A well-timed phone call is
the mark of a excellent husband.
May you touch the sky this time.
The roof of an abandoned farmhouse
Midway between Aubrey Hall and Crake House
Kent, England

It wasn't that Billie Bridgerton was lacking in common sense.

Sometimes you find love in the most unexpected of places...

This is not one of those times.

Sometimes you fall in love with exactly the person you think you should...

Or not.

But sometimes fate has a wicked sense of humor...

Because when Billie and George are quite literally thrown together, a whole new sort of sparks begins to fly. And when these lifelong adversaries finally kiss, they just might discover that the one person they can't abide is the one person they can't live without...

Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday. But sometimes fate has a wicked sense of humor. There is only one Rokesby Billie absolutely cannot tolerate, and that is George. He may be the eldest and heir to the earldom, but he's arrogant, annoying, and she's absolutely certain he detests her. Which is perfectly convenient, as she can't stand the sight of him, either. Because when Billie and George are quite literally thrown together, a whole new sort of sparks begins to fly. And when these lifelong adversaries finally kiss, they just might discover that the one person they can't abide is the one person they can't live without.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible