Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Blood and Chocolate (1997)

by Annette Curtis Klause

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (Annixk)
    Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books have to do with shapeshifters facing problems in their society. Great books!
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (jennyellen22)
    Lila the Werewolf [short story] by Peter S. Beagle (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gateway drug to Beagle: Someone has to choose.
    Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (AmethystFaerie)
    A Fast and Brutal Wing by Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson (MyriadBooks)
    Old Magic by Marianne Curley (AmethystFaerie)
    River by Dawn Skyla Cameron (Anonymous user)
    Heart of the Wolf by Terry Spear (tyuiop159)
    Gestella [short story] by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gateway drug to horror: And... if the wolf did pick the human lover?

I really didn't like Vivien at first, I thought she was a cold-hearted b*tch but she grew on me. It was the same with Gabriel, he was a cocky SOB but he started to melt towards the end and then he was mush, putty in Vivien's hands.

I could understand Vivien's rebellion and her abhorrence of violence after they had lost so many of their pack. Her actions were mostly those of a typical teenager though at the beginning she was very cocky and alpha-ish but also a extremely vulnerable at the same time. It was a bit strange how she switched between one and the other so quickly but this evened out and I began to sympathise with her. I was glad that she was sure of herself and had a sense of self-worth, and the courage to go after what she wanted rather than sitting back and taking orders.

Some would be disappointed that she stayed with Gabriel especially as he's 8 years older than her sixteen years but it seemed like the right thing. She was very mature for her age, very sexual and could obviously take care of herself. She needed people who shared her nature, Aiden was just too soft for her.

Overall, a fast, light and easy read. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
It’s not about vampires but about werewolves and that makes it a bit different, vampires are smooth beautiful and eternal people but werewolves, as Maya pointed out, are monsters, the kind that looks monstrous. Not to Vivian, the teenager werewolf who’s just moved to town, who feels her transformations and her wolf form are the incarnation of powerful animal beauty. And not to Aiden, the sensitive (meat)boy who writes a poem about the transformation so good that it makes Viv wonder if he knows. He doesn’t, actually, but this doesn’t stop Vivian from believing he would find her double-nature as marvelous as she does. Meanwhile, a series of killings put the pack, Viv’s family, in danger of being discovered yet again. The movie, to put it simply, totally sucks, if that wasn't enough, it sucks ripping the book apart.

First read: 2005.

Second read: 07.03.2011 (still quite nice!) ( )
  Evalangui | Aug 22, 2014 |
I watched the film first then heard there was a book so it peaked my curiosity. That's usually the way I find a lot of books. I read it and all I can say is I was shocked at the amount of foul language in this book. Even as a teenager- who hears swearing probably much more than most people- I was stunned. It put me off liking the book.

Some parts of it were good, the bad language unnecessary and the pumped up testosterone of the boys made it really uncomfortable to read.
It was basically an uneasy book to read but the story was ok.

The ending was very dodgy too, because her choices were too quick to seem realistic and it seemed like it had been rushed.

The writing is poor and immature, I'm sorry to say and I really don't know how it got published AND had a film made from it. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

If I'm honest, I preferred the film much more and that wasn't something I'd have put up for an Oscar. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Okay it was pretty poor. When I first reviewed it I gave it 2 stars but that I think was overally generous of me. I'm changing it now to 1 out of 5 stars. Sorry Annette. :s ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
This book was very good. I do wish the ending was better. ( )
  Mykake | Mar 23, 2014 |

I'm really glad that I was able to reread this book after so many years. Even on my third read-through, it's funny how some parts I remembered in their entirety over the years and how others got fuzzy and had long slipped my mind. But overall, my interest in this book has not subsided over the years. Reading it then I really was fascinated by it. Reading it now, I realized how strong and liberated a message it sent through the main character, Vivian, and how much strength there was in Gabriel's character even though he became a larger factor in the book only steadily.

Perhaps that's what elated me the most about this book: the strength of the characters.

I love that Vivian has such confidence. I love that she has to face situations of maturity and that she does so knowing clearly what's appropriate and what's not. She knows her body, she knows what it means to be a woman, and she knows the weight of responsibility, even though it doesn't get cast onto her shoulders until much later on. I really loved seeing the way that she went through everything. Considering she was in high school, I love the fact that a lot of the situations and characters handled things almost as though they were in or past college age, something that I never noticed until this most recent reread of the book.

With that being said, there's still growing up that needs to be done, but I feel this isn't your typical story of "growing up" or "finding yourself". In contrast, it's more a story of coming to grips with your own reality and trying to bring a haphazard life together into a concrete direction. I quite like that. I love stories that involve character development, but I feel that reading a story where a character is already strong enough to carry themselves is also interesting, especially when it's thrown into a well-written situation like the one Annette Curtis Klause brought to us here.

I love the realism of everything, even the mythology involved with werewolves here. Even though the book is short and doesn't go into a great deal of detail on myths here, enough information was supplanted that you knew the basics and could run with that. It grounded the facts and kept this from spiraling out of control in terms of "superhuman abilities". Mortality was made very clear from the get-go even for the werewolf-kind. I love realistic things like that which can root down magical or fantastical elements in a story. Fantasy is great, as is magic. I'm a big lover of it and always have been. But magic and fancy have to have their laws and rules as well. It's what makes things more believable, and in the end, more enjoyable as well.

This is a great deal of why this book succeeds in my eyes. It can range in appreciation value throughout the pre-to-teen years and even onwards into college age, because I'm out of college and still love this book. If it wasn't for the realistic portrayal of situations, and the maturity of the way situations are handled-- yes, even some of the scenes that are completely sassy or immature-- then I doubt I'd have enjoyed this book 80% as much. A great deal goes into the way that eventually the characters go about picking themselves up, coming to terms with what they've done, and taking responsibility for it.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this book to others with a love of fantasy or werewolves. It's got solid characters who have their moments of trial, but that eventually find their way through it. You'll enjoy the plot and issues that arise, and hopefully will find the characters as enjoyable as I did. This is a definite read, and since the book has been around for a while, I'm going to say that you can probably also pick it up somewhere online for probably a cheap price. So invest in it, especially if werewolves are a staple on your bookshelves. I think it'll definitely be worth your read. ( )
  N.T.Embe | Dec 31, 2013 |

Annette Curtis Klauseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neilsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other. - Hermann Hesse, "Steppenwolf"
Ye may kill for yourselves, and your mates, and your cubs as they need, and ye can;
But kill not for pleasure of killing, and seven times never kill Man! - Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
A book for Mummy, although I'm sure she'd prefer cuddly, polite creatures.
Flames shot high, turning the night lurid with carnival light.

Seit Seth endlich mit seiner geliebten Ashlyn zusammen ist, will er nur eins:
für immer bei ihr sein. Doch Ashlyn, die Sommerkönigin der Elfen, ist
unsterblich - und die Ewigkeit wird sie nicht mit Seth, sondern mit dem
schönen Elfenkönig Keenan verbringen. Es sei denn, es gelingt Seth, ebenfalls
Unsterblichkeit zu erlangen ...

Wild entschlossen sucht er sich Verbündete unter den unheimlichen, zum Teil
bösartigen Elfen. Als er erfährt, dass nur die Königin des Lichts ihm seinen
Wunsch erfüllen kann, macht er sich auf den Weg an ihren Hof. Doch weiß er
noch nicht, welches Opfer von ihm erwartet wird ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440226686, Mass Market Paperback)

Characterizing the adolescent experience as monstrous is not exactly a new idea. M.T. Anderson's woefully confused teen vampire in Thirsty and Jean Thesman's reluctant young witch in The Other Ones serve as excellent examples of this metaphor set to fiction. But no one really captures how our hormones make us howl as well as Annette Curtis Klause. Blood and Chocolate chronicles the longings and passions of one Vivian Gandillon, teenage werewolf. Her pack family, recently burned out of their West Virginia home by suspicious neighbors, has resettled in a sleepy Maryland suburb. At her new school, Viv quickly falls for sensitive heartthrob Aiden, a human--or "meat-boy," as her pack calls him. Soon she is trying to tame her undomesticated desires to match his more civilized sensibilities. "He was gentle. She hadn't expected that. Kisses to her were a tight clutch, teeth, and tongue... His eyes were shy beneath his dark lashes, and his lips curved with delight and desire--desire he wouldn't force on her... he was different." But Vivian's animal ardor cannot be stilled, and she must decide if she should keep Aiden in the dark about her true nature or invite him to take a walk on her wild side.

Klause poetically describes the violence and sensuality of the pack lifestyle, creating a hot-blooded heroine who puts the most outrageous riot grrrls to shame. Blood and Chocolate is a masterpiece of adolescent angst wrapped in wolf's clothing, and its lovely, sensuous taste is sure to be sweet on the teenage tongue. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:57 -0400)

Having fallen for a human boy, a beautiful teenage werewolf must battle both her packmates and the fear of the townspeople to decide where she belongs and with whom.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,955,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible