Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Blood and Chocolate (original 1997; edition 2007)

by Annette Curtis Klause

2,436None2,531 (3.77)110
Member:The_Book_Queen
Title:Blood and Chocolate
Authors:Annette Curtis Klause
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Werewolves, Teen Fantasy, Teen Romance, Own, One of my Favorites

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (1997)

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (Annixk)
    Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books have to do with shapeshifters facing problems in their society. Great books!
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (jennyellen22)
    Lila the Werewolf [short story] by Peter S. Beagle (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gateway drug to Beagle: Someone has to choose.
    Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (AmethystFaerie)
    A Fast and Brutal Wing by Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson (MyriadBooks)
    Old Magic by Marianne Curley (AmethystFaerie)
    River by Dawn Skyla Cameron (Anonymous user)
    Heart of the Wolf by Terry Spear (tyuiop159)
    Gestella [short story] by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gateway drug to horror: And... if the wolf did pick the human lover?

This book was very good. I do wish the ending was better. ( )
  Mykake | Mar 23, 2014 |

I'm really glad that I was able to reread this book after so many years. Even on my third read-through, it's funny how some parts I remembered in their entirety over the years and how others got fuzzy and had long slipped my mind. But overall, my interest in this book has not subsided over the years. Reading it then I really was fascinated by it. Reading it now, I realized how strong and liberated a message it sent through the main character, Vivian, and how much strength there was in Gabriel's character even though he became a larger factor in the book only steadily.

Perhaps that's what elated me the most about this book: the strength of the characters.

I love that Vivian has such confidence. I love that she has to face situations of maturity and that she does so knowing clearly what's appropriate and what's not. She knows her body, she knows what it means to be a woman, and she knows the weight of responsibility, even though it doesn't get cast onto her shoulders until much later on. I really loved seeing the way that she went through everything. Considering she was in high school, I love the fact that a lot of the situations and characters handled things almost as though they were in or past college age, something that I never noticed until this most recent reread of the book.

With that being said, there's still growing up that needs to be done, but I feel this isn't your typical story of "growing up" or "finding yourself". In contrast, it's more a story of coming to grips with your own reality and trying to bring a haphazard life together into a concrete direction. I quite like that. I love stories that involve character development, but I feel that reading a story where a character is already strong enough to carry themselves is also interesting, especially when it's thrown into a well-written situation like the one Annette Curtis Klause brought to us here.

I love the realism of everything, even the mythology involved with werewolves here. Even though the book is short and doesn't go into a great deal of detail on myths here, enough information was supplanted that you knew the basics and could run with that. It grounded the facts and kept this from spiraling out of control in terms of "superhuman abilities". Mortality was made very clear from the get-go even for the werewolf-kind. I love realistic things like that which can root down magical or fantastical elements in a story. Fantasy is great, as is magic. I'm a big lover of it and always have been. But magic and fancy have to have their laws and rules as well. It's what makes things more believable, and in the end, more enjoyable as well.

This is a great deal of why this book succeeds in my eyes. It can range in appreciation value throughout the pre-to-teen years and even onwards into college age, because I'm out of college and still love this book. If it wasn't for the realistic portrayal of situations, and the maturity of the way situations are handled-- yes, even some of the scenes that are completely sassy or immature-- then I doubt I'd have enjoyed this book 80% as much. A great deal goes into the way that eventually the characters go about picking themselves up, coming to terms with what they've done, and taking responsibility for it.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this book to others with a love of fantasy or werewolves. It's got solid characters who have their moments of trial, but that eventually find their way through it. You'll enjoy the plot and issues that arise, and hopefully will find the characters as enjoyable as I did. This is a definite read, and since the book has been around for a while, I'm going to say that you can probably also pick it up somewhere online for probably a cheap price. So invest in it, especially if werewolves are a staple on your bookshelves. I think it'll definitely be worth your read. ( )
  N.T.Embe | Dec 31, 2013 |
Blah...

Mary-Sues are everywhere > ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
Vivian Gandillon is teenage Rougarou (or werewolf, although Klause doesn't use the name). She is trying desperately to fit in with other kids at her school when she meets Aiden. Convinced Aiden is a fellow Rougarou based on a poem he wrote, she befriends him only to find he is a sensitive human fascinating with witches and the like. Vivian falls for him even though he is what her kind call a "meat-boy.". While trying to balance her social life as a human Vivian is also dealing with conflict in her "fur" world. The pack has fallen apart after the death of their leader, Vivian's father. They are out of control and in need a new leader. The story escalates when Vivian decides to reveal her true identity to Aiden at the same time she is chosen to be the new pack leader's mate. There are two things that struck me as I read Klause's werewolf story. One, there is an adult sexual tension with all the characters within this story. Second, Klause does an outstanding job describing the mannerisms of a canine. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Aug 14, 2013 |
Blood and Chocolate is a well-loved YA werewolf novel, and I've been meaning to read it for the last decade. Now that I have, I'm really disappointed.

Vivian is a 16-year-old werewolf who's torn between her pack and fitting in with the human world (and a human boy). Vivian is also selfish, arrogant, dramatic, and stupid. Over and over we hear her thoughts on how beeeeaaaaauuuuutiful she is and how all the boys want her. Every action she takes endangers someone and she only ever focuses on her own needs, despite the other characters cooing over how she shows such concern for the pack. I was ready to rip off her "tawny" hair before I was halfway through the book.

The writing is painful too; Annette Curtis Klause writes like some of the teenage fanfiction writers I've encountered. The dialogue is unnatural, and people act in ways that they just wouldn't in real life. She uses awkward terminology (such as referring to a gift from Vivian's boyfriend as a "love gift"). And for the coup de grâce of stupidity, when Vivian is accused by the police of vandalism, a 24-year-old pack member provides an alibi - he tells the cops that they were having sex all night. A 24-year old...tells the cops...that he was screwing an underage high schooler. And the cops thank him and leave. Huh? What?

YA novels can be written much, much better than this. Werewolf novels can be written much, much better than this (see Kelley Armstrong's Bitten). Don't waste your time. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 19, 2013 |

Annette Curtis Klauseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neilsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other. - Hermann Hesse, "Steppenwolf"
Ye may kill for yourselves, and your mates, and your cubs as they need, and ye can;
But kill not for pleasure of killing, and seven times never kill Man! - Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
A book for Mummy, although I'm sure she'd prefer cuddly, polite creatures.
Flames shot high, turning the night lurid with carnival light.

Seit Seth endlich mit seiner geliebten Ashlyn zusammen ist, will er nur eins:
für immer bei ihr sein. Doch Ashlyn, die Sommerkönigin der Elfen, ist
unsterblich - und die Ewigkeit wird sie nicht mit Seth, sondern mit dem
schönen Elfenkönig Keenan verbringen. Es sei denn, es gelingt Seth, ebenfalls
Unsterblichkeit zu erlangen ...

Wild entschlossen sucht er sich Verbündete unter den unheimlichen, zum Teil
bösartigen Elfen. Als er erfährt, dass nur die Königin des Lichts ihm seinen
Wunsch erfüllen kann, macht er sich auf den Weg an ihren Hof. Doch weiß er
noch nicht, welches Opfer von ihm erwartet wird ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440226686, Mass Market Paperback)

Characterizing the adolescent experience as monstrous is not exactly a new idea. M.T. Anderson's woefully confused teen vampire in Thirsty and Jean Thesman's reluctant young witch in The Other Ones serve as excellent examples of this metaphor set to fiction. But no one really captures how our hormones make us howl as well as Annette Curtis Klause. Blood and Chocolate chronicles the longings and passions of one Vivian Gandillon, teenage werewolf. Her pack family, recently burned out of their West Virginia home by suspicious neighbors, has resettled in a sleepy Maryland suburb. At her new school, Viv quickly falls for sensitive heartthrob Aiden, a human--or "meat-boy," as her pack calls him. Soon she is trying to tame her undomesticated desires to match his more civilized sensibilities. "He was gentle. She hadn't expected that. Kisses to her were a tight clutch, teeth, and tongue... His eyes were shy beneath his dark lashes, and his lips curved with delight and desire--desire he wouldn't force on her... he was different." But Vivian's animal ardor cannot be stilled, and she must decide if she should keep Aiden in the dark about her true nature or invite him to take a walk on her wild side.

Klause poetically describes the violence and sensuality of the pack lifestyle, creating a hot-blooded heroine who puts the most outrageous riot grrrls to shame. Blood and Chocolate is a masterpiece of adolescent angst wrapped in wolf's clothing, and its lovely, sensuous taste is sure to be sweet on the teenage tongue. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:57 -0400)

Having fallen for a human boy, a beautiful teenage werewolf must battle both her packmates and the fear of the townspeople to decide where she belongs and with whom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible