Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Blood and Chocolate (original 1997; edition 2007)

by Annette Curtis Klause

Member:The_Book_Queen
Title:Blood and Chocolate
Authors:Annette Curtis Klause
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Werewolves, Teen Fantasy, Teen Romance, Own, One of my Favorites

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (1997)

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (Annixk)
    Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books have to do with shapeshifters facing problems in their society. Great books!
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (jennyellen22)
    Lila the Werewolf [short story] by Peter S. Beagle (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gateway drug to Beagle: Someone has to choose.
    Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (AmethystFaerie)
    A Fast and Brutal Wing by Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson (MyriadBooks)
    Old Magic by Marianne Curley (AmethystFaerie)
    River by Dawn Skyla Cameron (Anonymous user)
    Heart of the Wolf by Terry Spear (tyuiop159)
    Gestella [short story] by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gateway drug to horror: And... if the wolf did pick the human lover?

A nice, semi-sweet but also a bit surprising story of a young werewolf woman torn between love of a human and duty to her pack. Not quite your typical romance, I really enjoyed this coming of age story that had a decent (but not over-the-top) amount of angst, and an enjoyable ending (without being utterly predictable). ( )
  LocoLibros | Mar 28, 2016 |
A surprisingly good YA werewolf novel. Vivian is a werewolf, like her parents and everyone she grew up with. After werewolves murder two people in their hometown, the pack must flee to another unsuspecting town. It's there that Vivian starts to struggle against the other werewolves in favor of a more human life. I was impressed with Vivian--she's beautiful and strong and knows it, but also socially awkward and unused to human ways. The mixture of disgust and desire that she feels toward the other werewolves also rings true, and is a good corrolary for her burgeoning sexuality. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book was purchased for masa gift and is, to this day, the most battered book I own. I read it, then passed it to four different friends, most of whom devoured it. We were young and at the perfect age for delicious love triangles, and would discuss our opinions on Vivian's choice across the table in the library in the morning.

Even with the friendly morning book conversations, I couldn't be turned to completely love this book, simply because I didn't like Vivian, and I liked Aiden even less. I could emphasize with their struggles, but by the end I could not care less whether Vivan liked chocolate or if Aiden could accept her - I found her whiny and him cowardly and selfish. And that was why I did not enjoy this book.

And yet, I did not dislike it enough to get rid of it - so who knows? Maybe I'll revisit it sometime. Because I love the idea, even if I cannot stand the characters.

As a side note - the film version has very little to do with the book other than the title dilemma, and I like it so much better. ( )
  Morteana | Dec 1, 2015 |
This was painful to read. Vivian is not a "strong female lead character" like I've read in other reviews. She's an over-sexualized character who is forced to use violence in her wolf form. Really, this story is about her quest for a mate. All of the guys are sex-obsessed meat-heads and they are have their sites set on Vivian. I like YA fiction, I even like werewolves, but this book is ridiculous. ( )
  ladonna37 | May 2, 2015 |
I've bypassed this book quite a few times and it's been overlooked because of one thing....I didn't realise it was about werewolves. Had I known that, I'd have snapped it up long before now. How I missed this one I'll never know.

I was drawn into this within a few pages and the story just grabbed me. It's a story about teen angst and love and decisions and betrayal and loyalty and just generally growing up and coming of age.... but with werewolves. I very easily got caught up with the story of Vivian, who has as many problems, if not more, then your average teen.

This book may be geared towards a young adult audience, but it can definitely be enjoyed by those of us who are young at heart and can still remember their youth. Klause pulls off a sensual story about the supernatural without making it seem cheesy. The characters are believable, the shape shifter culture is well rounded and Vivian's world comes alive on the page. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |

Annette Curtis Klauseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neilsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other. - Hermann Hesse, "Steppenwolf"
Ye may kill for yourselves, and your mates, and your cubs as they need, and ye can;
But kill not for pleasure of killing, and seven times never kill Man! - Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
A book for Mummy, although I'm sure she'd prefer cuddly, polite creatures.
Flames shot high, turning the night lurid with carnival light.

Seit Seth endlich mit seiner geliebten Ashlyn zusammen ist, will er nur eins:
für immer bei ihr sein. Doch Ashlyn, die Sommerkönigin der Elfen, ist
unsterblich - und die Ewigkeit wird sie nicht mit Seth, sondern mit dem
schönen Elfenkönig Keenan verbringen. Es sei denn, es gelingt Seth, ebenfalls
Unsterblichkeit zu erlangen ...

Wild entschlossen sucht er sich Verbündete unter den unheimlichen, zum Teil
bösartigen Elfen. Als er erfährt, dass nur die Königin des Lichts ihm seinen
Wunsch erfüllen kann, macht er sich auf den Weg an ihren Hof. Doch weiß er
noch nicht, welches Opfer von ihm erwartet wird ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440226686, Mass Market Paperback)

Characterizing the adolescent experience as monstrous is not exactly a new idea. M.T. Anderson's woefully confused teen vampire in Thirsty and Jean Thesman's reluctant young witch in The Other Ones serve as excellent examples of this metaphor set to fiction. But no one really captures how our hormones make us howl as well as Annette Curtis Klause. Blood and Chocolate chronicles the longings and passions of one Vivian Gandillon, teenage werewolf. Her pack family, recently burned out of their West Virginia home by suspicious neighbors, has resettled in a sleepy Maryland suburb. At her new school, Viv quickly falls for sensitive heartthrob Aiden, a human--or "meat-boy," as her pack calls him. Soon she is trying to tame her undomesticated desires to match his more civilized sensibilities. "He was gentle. She hadn't expected that. Kisses to her were a tight clutch, teeth, and tongue... His eyes were shy beneath his dark lashes, and his lips curved with delight and desire--desire he wouldn't force on her... he was different." But Vivian's animal ardor cannot be stilled, and she must decide if she should keep Aiden in the dark about her true nature or invite him to take a walk on her wild side.

Klause poetically describes the violence and sensuality of the pack lifestyle, creating a hot-blooded heroine who puts the most outrageous riot grrrls to shame. Blood and Chocolate is a masterpiece of adolescent angst wrapped in wolf's clothing, and its lovely, sensuous taste is sure to be sweet on the teenage tongue. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

Having fallen for a human boy, a beautiful teenage werewolf must battle both her packmates and the fear of the townspeople to decide where she belongs and with whom.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible